I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
....... either as cable capacitance or as output device capacitance. This is a law of nature, since any capacitor has to be charged before any conductance is present."

Went back to see something an read this. had to reply. This makes no sense whatsoever. If your going to spout laws of nature learn them first.

i(t)=C dv(t)/dt

Charging and discharging the cap i(t) is the signal dv(t)/dt (conductance is the wrong word).

No quick A/B will do anything other than confuse people.

Why? Maybe it confuses you and you think we are all the same, we are not. Every mix engineer uses A/B comparisons; they must all be hacks and confused.

And I guess science has never been proven fallible either. With a closed mind, no new discoveries will ever be found. I guess the status quo is acceptable and comfortable. There would be no need to even try to grasp that anything new might exist or could be possible

Think before you speak. So science has no open mind and never finds new discoveries. Then how does it find the seemingly bizzare. Ever heard of relitivity, or quantum physics? And there are plenty of examples of scientific theories that have been tossed out because observation dosnt support them. If yould get of your high horse and get an education you might not spout such nonsense.

Think before you speak. So science has no open mind and never finds new discoveries. Then how does it find the seemingly bizzare. Ever heard of relitivity, or quantum physics? And there are plenty of examples of scientific theories that have been tossed out because observation dosnt support them. If yould get of your high horse and get an education you might not spout such nonsense.

I brought up quantum physics ion a past post. All I am trying to say that if all research scientist had the closed minded attitude that is evident here, where would be today.

Let's be fair. Too often, science is taught in schools as a collection of facts to be memorized and regurgitated, not a set of methods of getting at the truth. Texas is not well known for the strength of its science education until the university level (UT Austin is quite a good school), and we may well be seeing the results.

Why? Maybe it confuses you and you think we are all the same, we are not. Every mix engineer uses A/B comparisons; they must all be hacks and confused.

What can they tell from a quick A/B other than something is different? Maybe that is why the majority of recordings on Pop music is so hot on the top end :) Surely they take more than a quick A/B if they really care about what they are trying to hear.

Baaaad examples. Those revolutions were started by a postal clerk who couldn't get a full time academic gig.

Patent examiner with a PhD in physics, not a postal clerk. Big difference, at least then. Read Jeremy Bernstein's terrific essay on this in "Quarks, Cranks, and the Cosmos." It is characteristic of science that the theories which work become accepted, regardless of who proposes them or whose applecart gets upset.

Let's be fair. Too often, science is taught in schools as a collection of facts to be memorized and regurgitated, not a set of methods of getting at the truth. Texas is not well known for the strength of its science education until the university level (UT Austin is quite a good school), and we may well be seeing the results.

Is that the best that you have? You never bothered to answer my question as to whether science has ever been proven wrong. This is known as a "diversion" here in Texas. I guess you have a scientific name for it :)

Is that the best that you have? You never bothered to answer my question as to whether science has ever been proven wrong. This is known as a "diversion" here in Texas. I guess you have a scientific name for it :)

The question itself is meaningless. How can that be answered? What color is up?

Seriously, your science teacher, if I ever find him, is in danger of a major whuppin'.

Thinking 'patent', typing 'postal'. Jungian slip. The patent office gig required pulling strings for arguably the top scientific intellect of several generations. New science eventually triumphs over old scientists. :D

Precisely. Apparently, a BC education isn't a totally bad thing.:D

Seriously, read Bernstein's essay- it's terrific. QC&tC is a good book to have.

I haven't spent a lot of time in audio showrooms, because I build my own stuff, but have visited a few and been to many audio shows over the past 30 years.

In defense of the salesmen in the high end stores, I have NEVER been pressured into anything. I either listen to what they have set up or they ask me what system I might like to hear. In fact, I'm not sure how they sell anything! This has been true in Europe and North America.

The mass market stores are another matter all together. That's why I was not sad to see Circuit City bite the dust.

I do hear a lot of stories about snobbish, pushy salesman, but don't think I've ever met one. People in the audio business tend to be rather nice. At least the ones I've met.

Very good and honest post panomaniac.A nice departure from posts who's authors are so biased so as to "hate"even the dog of a sales man or designer of high-end audio :)

Come over here, and I'll introduce you to quite a few. The usual tactic is to first identify how thick your wallet is. Questions about your existing equipment are in order. They won't even bother to schedule you for a demo with the expensive stuff if you don't claim you already have something in the same price range. If you meet the wallet thickness requirement, what follows are a few delicate questions if you heard about the amazing sound of the latest XYZ product. If you ever try to play smart and ask about specs and objective reviews, they usually shut down.

I usually have to lie them in the face and play dumb, to get an appointment for the stuff I want to listen to. And no, I have no remorses about.

I live here(not there :) ) and I know of at least four high-end dealers in your town that don't meet your description.Joke generalizations,born by bias no doubt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.