I don't believe cables make a difference, any input? - Page 682 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 20th October 2009, 06:51 PM   #6811
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf View Post
Baaaad examples. Those revolutions were started by a postal clerk who couldn't get a full time academic gig.
Patent examiner with a PhD in physics, not a postal clerk. Big difference, at least then. Read Jeremy Bernstein's terrific essay on this in "Quarks, Cranks, and the Cosmos." It is characteristic of science that the theories which work become accepted, regardless of who proposes them or whose applecart gets upset.

Old 20th October 2009, 06:52 PM   #6812
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Let's be fair. Too often, science is taught in schools as a collection of facts to be memorized and regurgitated, not a set of methods of getting at the truth. Texas is not well known for the strength of its science education until the university level (UT Austin is quite a good school), and we may well be seeing the results.
Is that the best that you have? You never bothered to answer my question as to whether science has ever been proven wrong. This is known as a "diversion" here in Texas. I guess you have a scientific name for it :-)

Old 20th October 2009, 06:56 PM   #6813
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Woods View Post
Is that the best that you have? You never bothered to answer my question as to whether science has ever been proven wrong. This is known as a "diversion" here in Texas. I guess you have a scientific name for it :-)
The question itself is meaningless. How can that be answered? What color is up?

Seriously, your science teacher, if I ever find him, is in danger of a major whuppin'.

Old 20th October 2009, 07:02 PM   #6814
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
The question itself is meaningless. How can that be answered? What color is up?

Seriously, your science teacher, if I ever find him, is in danger of a major whuppin'.
Again in Texas this is known as a "diversion"

Old 20th October 2009, 07:04 PM   #6815
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thinking 'patent', typing 'postal'. Jungian slip. The patent office gig required pulling strings for arguably the top scientific intellect of several generations. New science eventually triumphs over old scientists.

Old 20th October 2009, 07:11 PM   #6816
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf View Post
Thinking 'patent', typing 'postal'. Jungian slip. The patent office gig required pulling strings for arguably the top scientific intellect of several generations. New science eventually triumphs over old scientists.
Precisely. Apparently, a BC education isn't a totally bad thing.

Seriously, read Bernstein's essay- it's terrific. QC&tC is a good book to have.

Old 20th October 2009, 07:17 PM   #6817
diyAudio Moderator

rdf: http://www.capatcolumbia.com/reading...in%20Crank.pdf

Old 20th October 2009, 07:46 PM   #6818
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You never bothered to answer my question as to whether science has ever been proven wrong
Quote:
It is characteristic of science that the theories which work become accepted
which implies that the ones that dont (proven wrong ) get rejected.

Old 20th October 2009, 07:48 PM   #6819
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
I haven't spent a lot of time in audio showrooms, because I build my own stuff, but have visited a few and been to many audio shows over the past 30 years.

In defense of the salesmen in the high end stores, I have NEVER been pressured into anything. I either listen to what they have set up or they ask me what system I might like to hear. In fact, I'm not sure how they sell anything! This has been true in Europe and North America.

The mass market stores are another matter all together. That's why I was not sad to see Circuit City bite the dust.

I do hear a lot of stories about snobbish, pushy salesman, but don't think I've ever met one. People in the audio business tend to be rather nice. At least the ones I've met.
Very good and honest post panomaniac.A nice departure from posts who's authors are so biased so as to "hate"even the dog of a sales man or designer of high-end audio

Old 20th October 2009, 07:56 PM   #6820
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
Come over here, and I'll introduce you to quite a few. The usual tactic is to first identify how thick your wallet is. Questions about your existing equipment are in order. They won't even bother to schedule you for a demo with the expensive stuff if you don't claim you already have something in the same price range. If you meet the wallet thickness requirement, what follows are a few delicate questions if you heard about the amazing sound of the latest XYZ product. If you ever try to play smart and ask about specs and objective reviews, they usually shut down.

I usually have to lie them in the face and play dumb, to get an appointment for the stuff I want to listen to. And no, I have no remorses about.
I live here(not there ) and I know of at least four high-end dealers in your town that don't meet your description.Joke generalizations,born by bias no doubt.

Last edited by Panicos K; 20th October 2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: correction

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!