I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The virtual barbershop is not a binaural recording. See QSound Labs: Virtual Barber Shop (Long) -- Binaural Audio Demo

It's not??:confused: Even with your link it clearly says Binaural Audio Demo. During the video they tell us they use a head with microphones placed where your ears would normally be, therefore allowing us to detect slight timing differences etc etc.

So I guess no-one has listened on headphones, oh well, I think it worth a go for the experience.

"Indistinguishable" is not what I said - you need to reread it.

Yes, it WAS very poorly worded. Oh well, not the first time I made an idiot of myself, feel pretty confident it won't be the last time.

I meant 'indistinguishable' applied to the results, rather than the audio experience. (even that is prob loosely worded!)

I'm certainly not stupid enough to buy a speaker that has the best measurements.

John

Not even if they were the ones that sounded the best??

So,for many here,whatever you do,or,don't do,it is always wrong:),or the person who takes the measurements is.....I don't know what:)

Thats not at all the case. The real answer is nothing is ever completely right or completely wrong - everything is grey. However clarity (as much as there is) can only come when ones opinions and beliefs are based on valid testing somewhere along the line - if not by you then some other reputable test somewhere else. But basing your opinions on weak data is always going to draw fire. Alas, you will get fired on even when you have very solid backing, so no matter what you believe someone somewhere is going to disagree.

Things really get grey when you start talking about what constitutes "valid"!!

You wouldn't want realism and logic to interfere with with your listening enjoyment would ya?

These guys crack me up! You know who you are. :rolleyes:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

These guys crack me up!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

crack me up!

crack me up!

!!!crack!!!

nuclear_blast.jpg

Kareface, you just don't know why silver can sound lousy, and you would never believe me if I told you. However, it has been shown that silver can sound lousier than copper, IF it is not processed properly.

Would you mind telling us where, by whom and how it has been shown that "silver can sound lousier than copper, IF it is not processed properly"?

I find this "cost" issue you keep bringing up quite strange :rolleyes:

Why do you assume that cost always means "better", are you that indoctrinated ??

I have QED solid silver cables sitting on the shelf, I prefer to use a cable that is about 1/20th the price.. because I listened.

I once purchased an expensive amp, meant to be the "go", traded it in a month later,... because I listened

I have listened to expensive speakers, and walked away wondering.. as have many others here.. perhaps we expected them to sound bad ??

I know a guy who has access to, can afford, and has tried many different high end cables, guess what he uses now.. solid core electrical cable.. why.... because he listened.

I have bought expensive bottles of wine, and on tasting, wondered why....

You cannot tell me you have never tried something that was "meant" to be good, but it wasn't.. or something cheap, and ordinary.. which turned out to be extraordinary..

Or are you totally ruled by your prior expectations and at the whim of the advertising man ! :hypno2:

Great post!

Every piece of gear I bought was to be my final solution, obviously what I have now and love are the last pieces because my rig sounds the way I want it to sound, natural and smooth. Never, and I mean never did money play a part in my descision making and that is a fact. The prices were like waves, some higher and some lower.

Its the oldest one in the book. The guy in his driveway washing his Chevy looks over at his neighbor washing his Cadillac and loves what he see's. He thinks to himself "If he looks over and see's me coveting his Caddy then I will look like a schmuck". So mister Chevy fires up a conversation to get a closer look at the Caddy while telling the guy who owns the Caddy how "I looked at the Caddy but I didn't like it because of the tail lights and because my Chevy has a paper towel despensor and all for 25 thousand less than what you paid". Mean while the guy with the Cadillac is thinking "I worked my ******* *** off all my life and since I enjoy this car so much I think I deserve it".

Its the oldest one in the book and not a cable thread ever went without too many Chevy guys showing up and making it impossible for anyone to compare notes on their cables (No Matter the Price, be it $1 dollar or $5000) so we can help each other.

That's why the price issue comes up automatic every single time with no exceptions. It's human nature.

Sup Terry

You know sometimes what you think is profound just comes out dumb. In case you didn't get, this was one of those times.

Bloody hell!!:confused: Besides that, I already beat you to the dumb part. And don't for one second think that I ever regard anything I say as profound. I am too dumb for that! (but not too dumb to not know that I am dumb.)

This is what you said these recordings will not yield a statistically significant difference from the same subjective results done as real listening.

To me all that implied was if we tried to compare speakers, either in the flesh or via binaural recordings, the results of those comparative rankings would be the same.

For sure I stupidly used the word indistinguishable, but I meant only in the sense that the rankings would come out the same way irregardless of the method actually used, rather than the binaural experience is indistinguishable from the real.

THAT was what I was querying. Esp as markus had already 'poo-pooed' the idea.

Anyway, I am quite happy to take on the responsibility of being dumb, as long as the dumb questions get asked and answered.

that way we all win.

Would be good if we all had your knowledge and experience.

Anyway, I am quite happy to take on the responsibility of being dumb, as long as the dumb questions get asked and answered.

I'm sorry, I didn't equate the two posts as being from the same person, and I didn't mean that you were dumb, it was not in good taste I guess. I just meant that I totally didn't get your post with the mushroom cloud and all, I mean it completely went over my head. So maybe I'm the dumb one here! Its just that internet posts are hard to comprehend at best and impossible much of the time. "Dumb" was generic for "I don't get it". No offense intended.

There are no "dumb" questions - I really believe that. There are only dumb beliefs that rest on nothing but faith. No one who questions is dumb. Its those who don't that are.

I'm sorry, I didn't equate the two posts as being from the same person, and I didn't mean that you were dumb, it was not in good taste I guess. I just meant that I totally didn't get your post with the mushroom cloud and all, I mean it completely went over my head. So maybe I'm the dumb one here! Its just that internet posts are hard to comprehend at best and impossible much of the time. "Dumb" was generic for "I don't get it". No offense intended.

There are no "dumb" questions - I really believe that. There are only dumb beliefs that rest on nothing but faith. No one who questions is dumb. Its those who don't that are.

Oh, that's cool then. Thanks for the explanation...not that the 'dumb' bit was the insult mind, the insult was the suggestion that I thought my posts were in any way profound.

In fact, about the only thing I could find more insulting would be if you suggested I took myself seriously!

That would have resulted in a 'report post' I can tell you.;)

Ahh, the pics. Yeah, been dieing to post them, I just laughed my head off when I saw the original post (not my material I am sorry to say). I even hinted to olblueyz that he 'set me up' so I could post them.

(((Oh, BTW, I had a great gag to post if you had still been angry at me. (not nasty or anything, but quite funny I think)

IF you still feel like responding and answering my questions, it would be fun if at the end you said something like 'Oh I get so angry sometimes at you non-believers'...that way I can out my gag in.

You'll have to trust our new found friendship that it is not nasty or a put down. just dying to use it haha))) Sounds good to me.

He answered in bold, so when he posted You wouldn't want realism and logic to interfere with with your listening enjoyment would ya?

These guys crack me up! You know who you are.
I thought he was playing the game and setting me up.:dunno:

I just liked the original 'crazy' pic, then the photoshopping.

Anyway, things DO often get heated around here, and it is easy for someone to take offense, so I do try and keep my posts lighthearted.

As, let's face it, a dumbie has nothing to contribute!! haha

That's why the price issue comes up automatic every single time with no exceptions. It's human nature.

Sup Terry
No, price is important because it's a pointless attribute to distinguish cables and any information regardless of how unrelated to the subject matter can be used by the subconscious. To add to the problem people tend to justify expensive products that in some cases are largely unnecessary. If people can honestly believe that sticking a bag of rocks to speaker wire makes things sound better, what isn't possible? Hell, in that case it's exclusively the price. No one would assume that a bag full of normal rocks would do the trick, but if you had to pay 100$ or so then it's worth it. You don't understand why the cost of the product is important with association, that doesn't mean you get to use your own facts.

Say that again loud please.When I did pick up something from the speakers output using a calibrated microphone in a comparison of two power cables,some here were ready to shoot me.The measurements were taken by a friend EE who is designing and measuring his amplifiers for nearly 15 years now.Needless to say that for them,his measurements were fraud.So,for many here,whatever you do,or,don't do,it is always wrong:),or the person who takes the measurements is.....I don't know what:)
Honestly I'd love to see the data. I've gotten shifts in reading before and there will be to some degree depending on the setup you use. It's really easy to tell the difference from the reading, if it's as substantial as you think then it should be apparent. Like I said before really poorly made cable can have usually high resistance values. I think everyone here is talking about reasonable gauge and quality cabling. However if you think you can identify high-end audio cables from the equivalent run of the mill stuff and you are confident you could do it in a blind test why not give it a shot? If you can do it consistently it would be worth one million dollars to you.

No, price is important because it's a pointless attribute to distinguish cables and any information regardless of how unrelated to the subject matter can be used by the subconscious. To add to the problem people tend to justify expensive products that in some cases are largely unnecessary. If people can honestly believe that sticking a bag of rocks to speaker wire makes things sound better, what isn't possible? Hell, in that case it's exclusively the price. No one would assume that a bag full of normal rocks would do the trick, but if you had to pay 100$ or so then it's worth it. You don't understand why the cost of the product is important with association, that doesn't mean you get to use your own facts.

Honestly I'd love to see the data. I've gotten shifts in reading before and there will be to some degree depending on the setup you use. It's really easy to tell the difference from the reading, if it's as substantial as you think then it should be apparent. Like I said before really poorly made cable can have usually high resistance values. I think everyone here is talking about reasonable gauge and quality cabling. However if you think you can identify high-end audio cables from the equivalent run of the mill stuff and you are confident you could do it in a blind test why not give it a shot? If you can do it consistently it would be worth one million dollars to you.

If I was the one who offered the one million dollars,I would make sure that no one would win it ;)......and if I was worried that someone was close enough I'd find a way to pull back.........hahaha

See what I mean? Its all about telling someone with a more expensive whatever how he paid too much. It never fails. :)

Would you like to clarify how much a bag of rocks should be valued for improving reproduction? Ignoring the content of the post simply because I referenced the cost of a product is hardly a valid argument. Let's hypothesize for a moment you're absolutely right, anyone that ever mentions the cost of a product as a possible factor for bias is just trying to discredit the purchase. Regardless of the motivation it could still be true, and in this case demonstrably is. If we found a diary from Einstein that said he only came up with relativity because a demon he worshiped told him in doing so it would destroy the world. Now it's clear that Einstein's motivation would be misplaced, but does that mean the content of his work is invalid? Regardless of personal motivation you should always address the content of the author and not draw assumptions about things you can't possibly know. My point is product costs can be and frequently is a factor in product bias and only a very misinformed individual would try to suggest otherwise. Instead of making false assumptions about my motivation how about we set the circumstantial ad hominem attacks aside and focus on the meat and potatoes of the discussion.

Last edited:

Would you like to clarify how much a bag of rocks should be valued for improving reproduction? Ignoring the content of the post simply because I referenced the cost of a product is hardly a valid argument. Let's hypothesize for a moment you're absolutely right, anyone that ever mentions the cost of a product as a possible factor for bias is just trying to discredit the purchase. Regardless of the motivation it could still be true, and in this case demonstrably is. If we found a diary from Einstein that said he only came up with relativity because a demon he worshiped told him in doing so it would destroy the world. Now it's clear that Einstein's motivation would be misplaced, but does that mean the content of his work is invalid? Regardless of personal motivation you should always address the content of the author and not draw assumptions about things you can't possibly know. My point is simply product costs can be and frequently is a factor in product bias and only a very misinformed individual would try to suggest otherwise. Instead of making false assumptions about my motivation how about we set the circumstantial ad hominem attacks aside and focus on the meat and potatoes of the discussion.

Meat and Potatoes is this my friend. You are talking about a bag of rocks in post number 13599 and there is a reason for that. My statement was a general one that applies to many people who have posted in this thread. Do I care if I am wrong about a few of them? Nope, because that is not the point, and you know it. ;)

You guys seem to always wanna equate what you consider expensive to some kind of burglary so you can propel your crusade because the truth of the matter is price and money are on your mind when "I" buy audio equipment, "not mine". :hypno2:

If I am wrong about you specifically or a few others then so be it, that is not the point. Never was and never will be. :cool:

BTW, nice HT rig you have, I like all the things you did with your room. Good choice on the TV, I have an Elite and I love it! :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.