I don't believe cables make a difference, any input? - Page 530 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 10th August 2009, 01:42 PM   #5291
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Andre Visser

Talking about the Quad?
I'm talking about any amp that's been in my system.

The Quad is superb for its intended purpose-driving ESL57s- and doesn't show any pathologies in that service.

Old 10th August 2009, 02:37 PM   #5292
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rokali
Here's a direct link to the blind test I linked to above (silly site frames meant my previous link just went to the main page):
http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm
If they could not choose the better system between that equipment, let alone cables, then that speakers must be useless, surely they can't be that hearing challenged.

Old 10th August 2009, 03:06 PM   #5293
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I love to hear the QUAD tube amps, never have. Especially like to hear them on the panels.

The 303 and the 405 were designed to drive the Electrostatic panels too. They did an "OK" job at it. But I've heard much,much better on the panels, both solid state and tube. The ESLs are just so glorious. But double stacked they are kinda tough to drive.

Oh, sorry - back to cables.

Old 10th August 2009, 03:47 PM   #5294
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fredex
rokali, Too true !

So the entire history of electronic amplification since the Williamson has been one long masturbatory exercise? No one needs low impedance speakers, let's consign those the poor design exercises like SE tube amps. So how do you guys justify owning anything past a Crown DC150 or Sony home theatre rig on an audible performance basis? The gap between philosophy and practice is conspicuous.

Old 10th August 2009, 04:05 PM   #5295
diyAudio Moderator

rdf: As you well know, the Williamson had some stability issues and questionable overload recovery. Some progress has been made since then, but you've also noticed that most highly-rated modern tube amps are pretty much clones of old circuits. The real improvements have been power supplies, stability, and overload recovery.

That said, I seriously doubt that anyone could tell the difference between an old Marantz 510 and the latest whiz-bang Parasound/Krell/Ayre if the amps were not clipping and no peeking was allowed. Or, for that matter, any of those amps and the canonical Pioneer receiver, with the same non-clipping proviso.

Before the rocks start flying, anyone who hasn't done a level-matched blind comparison and will still opine is a pitiful gasbag who shouldn't be taken seriously.

edit: I'm speaking of power amps. Preamps are a whole 'nother issue.

Old 10th August 2009, 04:09 PM   #5296
diyAudio Moderator

And yes, speakers that have 2 ohm impedance dips are a sure sign of a failed design.

Old 10th August 2009, 04:17 PM   #5297
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BudP

I still have amazing amounts of fun blowing minds with what can only be magic.

Was at Rene' Jaeger's house on Saturday doing just that. With a pair of his magnepan 2.6R speakers, some 1" X 2" pieces of clear acrylic tape, with restickable adhesive on one side, and the narrow wooden side decorations. I am sure he is still shaking his head and muttering "lunatic".

Bud
Why don't you bring your kit to the BAF?

Old 10th August 2009, 04:32 PM   #5298
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andre Visser

If they could not choose the better system between that equipment, let alone cables, then that speakers must be useless, surely they can't be that hearing challenged.

The speakers are very inefficient and difficult to drive but apart from that, quite revealing. It is interesting to know something about the panel and whether they were happy with the sound (looks like a very live room they tried fixing in a hurry).

Old 10th August 2009, 04:52 PM   #5299
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Before the rocks start flying, anyone who hasn't done a level-matched blind comparison and will still opine is a pitiful gasbag who shouldn't be taken seriously.
Rocks have flown for 200 pages. The group here with no problem painting 'the superiors' as delusional marketing dupes has a tough slog justifying on a performance basis anything past a used Rotel.

I've used regular non-blind audio comparisons professionally for a generation, between sources I absolutely know are different, and far from supporting your stereotypes of hearing different brands of AM tower obstruction lighting bulbs and grades of network cable, find fast switching obscures and masks very large and real differences. From long personal experience I find the protocol insensitive and easily confusing to the point of being nearly useless and not a reveal-all silver bullet. If long personal and professional experience consigns me to gasbag status, where do I get my T-shirt?

Old 10th August 2009, 05:01 PM   #5300
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
.... anyone who hasn't done a level-matched blind comparison ...
I certainly have done the level matched blind tests and been very surpised by the results. My biases where proved wrong - at least in those tests. In some other tests there wasn't enough difference to be sure, so why worry?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!