Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2008, 09:15 PM   #1311
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andre Visser
No, let me try again

My original remark was based on a suggestion by tc-60guy to measure cable differences with a microphone and speakers. I believe the differences should show on the low level detail and timing of it. Since our ears / brain can seperate low level detail and loud signals and process it seperately, we should perhaps try and do the same to do the measurements.

Since a microphone detect all the signals, we will have to seperate the low level detail from the louder ones electronically, to do such measurements. I believe that won't be easy to do.

Better now?

André
Hello Andre, My point was that if a speaker cannot resolve it then there is no way that we can hear it. Speakers, at the end of the day, remain both the weakest link and the utimate interface between our ears and the music. Allright, the room has a "little" bit to do with it too!

Old 24th May 2008, 09:24 PM   #1312
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tc-60guy

Hello Andre, My point was that if a speaker cannot resolve it then there is no way that we can hear it. Speakers, at the end of the day, remain both the weakest link and the utimate interface between our ears and the music. Allright, the room has a "little" bit to do with it too!
With that I agree 100%, to get the benefit of good cables, the whole system need to be quite good.

Old 24th May 2008, 09:36 PM   #1313
diyAudio Member

Quote:

With that I agree 100%, to get the benefit of good cables, the whole system need to be quite good.

Hello again Andre, If the whole system is unimpeachable from input to output, then it should be measurable. A lot of highly regarded speakers still exibit harmonic distortion numbers in the double digits when pushed even moderlately hard!

Old 24th May 2008, 09:48 PM   #1314
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Hello again Andre, If the whole system is unimpeachable from input to output, then it should be measurable. A lot of highly regarded speakers still exibit harmonic distortion numbers in the double digits when pushed hard!
It might not be good for my health to say this but I believe in certain aspects it would be hard to equal the ear / brain with measuring equipment.

I don't say impossible but I believe we tend to measure the wrong things.

Old 24th May 2008, 09:53 PM   #1315
diyAudio Member

Quote:

It might not be good for my health to say this but I believe in certain aspects it would be hard to equal the ear / brain with measuring equipment.

You "Quazy" subjectivists!

Old 24th May 2008, 09:54 PM   #1316
diyAudio Member

Quote:

You "Quazy" subjectivists!

Old 24th May 2008, 09:55 PM   #1317
diyAudio Member

Quote:

What would be the right things?

Old 24th May 2008, 10:15 PM   #1318
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
What would be the right things?
How would I know, I'm a subjectivist

Brett, I think perhaps we worry too much about things that are proven that the ears/brain are not that sensitive with (like THD) and neglect others that are important. What I think is important is the small detail and timing because that is what influence the brain to make music sound real. Good transient response also.

Old 24th May 2008, 10:18 PM   #1319
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Brett, I think perhaps we worry too much about things that are proven that the ears/brain are not that sensitive with (like THD) and neglect others that are important. What I think is important is the small detail and timing because that is what influence the brain to make music sound real. Good transient response also.
How do cables affect timing? Agree re transient response, espeially if the dynamic range is compressed, ie most speakers, but again, how do cables affect that?

Old 24th May 2008, 10:20 PM   #1320
diyAudio Member

Quote:

How would I know, I'm a subjectivist

Good transient response also.

HA! Good transient response is measurable! Checkmate!

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!