I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that explains it. Go out and pick up a high school physics text book, a psychology and/or psycho-acoustics hand book and begin learning about sound waves...and their perception.
That would be a start.

cheers,

AJ
High Fidelity and psychoacoustics have strong deep roots in telcom. Check out what Bell Labs and Western Electric were doing in the '30's with the World's Fair measurements, and Toscanini's "Wall of Sound" for two random examples.
There was a reason the AR-1 used a WE mid-tweeter.

How do we truly know that DBT's have proven to be valuable in audio?
Wow, no land line, cell phone or VOI?
Ok, I'll tell you, since you haven't figured it out yet. Land lines, Cel and VOI, telecom, all developed using DBT.

High Fidelity and psychoacoustics have strong deep roots in telcom.
Ummm, yeah, that's been covered, way back in the morass. ;)

Check out what Bell Labs and Western Electric were doing in the '30's with the World's Fair measurements
It's not me that needs to check out what engineers know about electro-acoustic systems...and the interconnecting wires in the circuits. Or what has been long known about the psychology of acoustics.
But thanks for reminding the Joachim's and Curl's et al in your reply to me.

cheers,

AJ

Last edited:
Other than the fact that Scott has about two or three orders of magnitude more audio products out there than you guys put together.

And the fact, that there are literally thousands of people on this forum, whom designs their own.

....But don't let reality disturb your illusions Curl.

If you can keep up the level of disrespect for other people, you may even live to see, the last bit of respect for your prior achievements disappear.

Magura :)

Sounds like some kind of bias?????

We are all subject to it, not immune. However, some of us are aware and accept this fact, whereas others......:)

Btw, to address your earlier post (gone?) - being stone deaf, I'm a digital guy, so no need for $20-40k (100k?) audio jewelry/phono stage.
A 1TB HD provides all the "bling" I need.
Now I'm sure that the same people who can "hear" witch effects in wires (not attributable to known science) can also "hear" digital cables, etc, but I don't want to digress. So....I keep my source signal digital so that I can apply DSP to correct the acoustic signal in room, after I have done as much as possible to make the source (speaker) linear.
What is your approach in your room (given the small, cone 'n dome, vertically on the face of a resonating box approach of your speakers) to address post source acoustics? Wires?

cheers,

AJ

And the fact, that there are literally thousands of people on this forum, whom designs their own.

Magura :)

...and there are millions around the world that design their own.I don't know Jojn Curl.What I know is that he had the balls to let the world judge his designs.Finished,accomplished products.You cannot change history,only falsify it.That's reality.....But "don't let reality disturb your illusions" Magura...

Last edited:
Finally.. the truth

Joachim, it isn't worth it. Let us both keep on designing. I am starting to detail my new $20,000+ phono stage. Got to have something for Munich. Maybe see you then.

There it is... all about the money. This single comment is the "tell" that exposes this "believers'" truth about cable malarkey. None of the professorial patronizing, none of the "golden ears", just $$$$$$.$$. You should publish your "findings" for a Sat. morning infomercial :D:D;)

Last edited:
What is your approach in your room (given the small, cone 'n dome, vertically on the face of a resonating box approach of your speakers) to address post source acoustics? Wires?

cheers,

AJ

Perhaps it would be better if you take a more careful "look" at my speaker's "resonating box approach".I am working on my room treatment though.If results are good I'll post some details.My speaker's "resonating box approach" however,seems to have made things a lot more easier for my room......for some reason.Do you think it might be their resonances?:)

Perhaps it would be better if you take a more careful "look" at my speaker's "resonating box approach".
I did
AcoustPref.jpg

You are posting on a speaker building forum and don't know what this means?
You don't know what a (reflex) port is for?

I am working on my room treatment though.If results are good I'll post some details.
So you are going to measure, or will this be the grope around and "listen" thing?
Wouldn't it be better to solve the issue at the source, rather than apply bandaids? You have Toole's book and what has been found via listening tests about absorption and (killing) spaciousness?
Wires play no role in your passive countermeasures?

My speaker's "resonating box approach" however,seems to have made things a lot more easier for my room......for some reason.Do you think it might be their resonances?:)
Having measured (and listened to) many box speakers with rear resonating ports in real rooms....Doubtful :).

cheers,

AJ

Having measured (and listened to) many box speakers with rear resonating ports in real rooms....Doubtful :).

cheers,

AJ

Have you measured their cabinet panel resonances?What is your opinion on their influence on final sound?Would you treat your room with a badly resonant speaker?At least the one I'm using has kept these cabinet resonances to a minimum.As for your question about reflex ports......no,I don't know :D
About room treatment,I have the "luxury" to borrow some and try them.I will surely choose(if I choose) the ones which will make final sound better to my ears because after I finish,I will be listening to my system,not measuring it.......Good guess:) I hope my illusions are good once more.

Last edited:
Have you measured their cabinet panel resonances?
As for your question about reflex ports......no,I don't know :D
When you figure out the latter, you will then understand it was not referencing the former.
So you don't use wires for acoustic issues?

About room treatment,I have the "luxury" to borrow some and try them.I will surely choose(if I choose) the ones which will make final sound better to my ears because after I finish,I will be listening to my system,not measuring it.......Good guess:) I hope my illusions are good once more.

So you hope killing spaciousness and increasing non-linearity of the reverberant field will make final sound better to your ears.
As long as the treatments are expensive enough (not "cheap"), I'm guessing somehow, there will be an improvement. Good luck ;).
If not, the next leap in wires (price included) is just around the corner :D

That this topic got so explosive makes me speechless. I will not desturb you with my subjective findings any more. I will watch this tread and when i can contribute something that is resonable i may enter the discussion again. It got a one way road because the majority has already decided that cables of resonable contruction are good enough so what is the point to further elaborate ?

When you figure out the latter, you will then understand it was not referencing the former.
So you don't use wires for acoustic issuees?

So you hope killing spaciousness and increasing non-linearity of the reverberant field will make final sound better to your ears.
As long as the treatments are expensive enough (not "cheap"), I'm guessing somehow, there will be an improvement. Good luck ;).
If not, the next leap in wires (price included) is just around the corner :D

I always choose wires for acoustic issues,but not for altering FR if this is what you mean:D

About room treatments,that is why I said about the "luxury" to try them first.Don't worry about prices either.I may have some more "luxuries" to deal with them too.DIY'ing is one of them,so,don't get me wrong;)

Last edited:

I do not have hopes for anything.My hearing tells me what I like to hear the same way as my taste tells me what I like to eat.I don't have any "references" that I follow.When I do things for pleasure,these things have to please me.Nothing more,nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.