I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a clear paint you coat the length of your cables, ICs, and power cords with.

Won't do me a bit of good then. Everything in my system is Litz wire (the real stuff) covered by unbleached woven cotton tubing. Only about 2 inches of plastic in my interconnects and about 7 inches in my 3 meter speaker cables and no shields at all. Since I build my own power transformers they have perfect noise isolation above 400 Hz and 2% regulation no load to full load. Power cord is only two foot long too.

Guess I'll have to stick with the money or tanning dreams.

Bud

Touché! But of course I should have said "very, very short cables." But my post was meant to fan the flames, that's all. :flame: If the cables are but a few cm long, do they really matter? (as long as they are not super thin)

I know but I couldn't resist. It just reminded me of a hi-fi meeting I was at a while ago, the best part of the evening was when the ‘music’ stopped. :D

Short cables should have less effect.

Since we can't cure 100% of cancers, why cure any?

One thing is for sure- people can hear frequency response changes on the order of magnitude of 1 dB. So if two cables cause frequency response differences because of, ahhhh, unconventional engineering in the chain, EQing the system to remove that difference is far and away the most likely way to eliminate any audible differences. For sure, it takes the claim of audibility from plausible to imaginary horses. At that point, it's up to the imaginative to do the demonstrating.

First of all, please SY and syn08 i feel that it is totally inappropriate to argue with a disease like cancer in this discussion. If you like to talk about the scientific approach please do so, we are talking about a luxury problem (i.e. to get the best subjective quality out of an audio reproduction chain) here and any serious disease is a totally different game.

It think you miss the point in your quote above; Olive and Toole have found in there experiments that their listeners would change _rating_ and _ranking_ of two (quite) different loudspeaker models; and the difference between these models was above every hearing threshold.

So it doesn´t matter if there is an really audible difference or not, listeners still will/can prefer the wrong alternative, if they are not able to deal with the different bias mechanism.

Wishes

P.S. Regarding the "wise phrase" if it doesn´t exist, may i suggest that you give me in the future the benefit of doubt that i don´t omit something for dishonest reasons?
I normally just try to keep the post a bit shorter. :)

It think you miss the point in your quote above; Olive and Toole have found in there experiments that their listeners would change _rating_ and _ranking_ of two (quite) different loudspeaker models; and the difference between these models was above every hearing threshold.

...thus analogizing preference rankings of stimuli well-known to be above thresholds with detection of audibility where there is no established threshold is inappropriate. Two completely different sorts of experiments. So, indeed, I do not follow your point at all.

...thus analogizing preference rankings of stimuli well-known to be above thresholds with detection of audibility where there is no established threshold is inappropriate. Two completely different sorts of experiments. So, indeed, I do not follow your point at all.

Mhm, wasn´t the user in your example _prefering_ a certain cable ?
I thought you´ve made, under the assumption that this preference is based on frequency response alterations, the proposal to include a passive network targeting the frequency response instead to meet the _preference_ choice.

Did i miss something?

If the (short) description above is correct, isn´t that the same situation?
Could the passive network approach work, if the listener isn´t able to deal with the different bias mechanism?

Wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.