I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, sorry, what I meant was that the brain can pick up and concentrate on a low level signal while you are surrounded by other noise while a microphone pick up all the sounds. You will then have to try and seperate the louder and softer sounds electronically, I don't know how, to measure the differences in low level sounds.

Hope it make sense now.

André

Andre Visser said:
OK, sorry, what I meant was that the brain can pick up and concentrate on a low level signal while you are surrounded by other noise while a microphone pick up all the sounds. You will then have to try and seperate the louder and softer sounds electronically, I don't know how, to measure the differences in low level sounds.

André

That would imply that there would be a difference between sitting listening to live music and sitting listening to a recording made from the same location (assuming dummy heads and mic position is perfect etc) BECAUSE the microphone cannot separate out soft sounds from loud, but your ears can?

There may be many other reasons why it would be different, but not that!

No, let me try again :)

My original remark was based on a suggestion by tc-60guy to measure cable differences with a microphone and speakers. I believe the differences should show on the low level detail and timing of it. Since our ears / brain can seperate low level detail and loud signals and process it seperately, we should perhaps try and do the same to do the measurements.

Since a microphone detect all the signals, we will have to seperate the low level detail from the louder ones electronically, to do such measurements. I believe that won't be easy to do.

Better now? :)

André

Andre Visser said:
No, let me try again :)

My original remark was based on a suggestion by tc-60guy to measure cable differences with a microphone and speakers. I believe the differences should show on the low level detail and timing of it. Since our ears / brain can seperate low level detail and loud signals and process it seperately, we should perhaps try and do the same to do the measurements.

Since a microphone detect all the signals, we will have to seperate the low level detail from the louder ones electronically, to do such measurements. I believe that won't be easy to do.

Better now? :)

André

Hello Andre, My point was that if a speaker cannot resolve it then there is no way that we can hear it. Speakers, at the end of the day, remain both the weakest link and the utimate interface between our ears and the music. Allright, the room has a "little" bit to do with it too!

tc-60guy said:

Hello Andre, My point was that if a speaker cannot resolve it then there is no way that we can hear it. Speakers, at the end of the day, remain both the weakest link and the utimate interface between our ears and the music. Allright, the room has a "little" bit to do with it too!

With that I agree 100%, to get the benefit of good cables, the whole system need to be quite good.

tc-60guy said:

Hello again Andre, If the whole system is unimpeachable from input to output, then it should be measurable. A lot of highly regarded speakers still exibit harmonic distortion numbers in the double digits when pushed hard!

It might not be good for my health to say this but I believe in certain aspects it would be hard to equal the ear / brain with measuring equipment.

I don't say impossible but I believe we tend to measure the wrong things.

Brett said:
What would be the right things?

How would I know, I'm a subjectivist :D :D

Brett, I think perhaps we worry too much about things that are proven that the ears/brain are not that sensitive with (like THD) and neglect others that are important. What I think is important is the small detail and timing because that is what influence the brain to make music sound real. Good transient response also.

Andre Visser said:

Brett, I think perhaps we worry too much about things that are proven that the ears/brain are not that sensitive with (like THD) and neglect others that are important. What I think is important is the small detail and timing because that is what influence the brain to make music sound real. Good transient response also.
How do cables affect timing? Agree re transient response, espeially if the dynamic range is compressed, ie most speakers, but again, how do cables affect that?

Status
Not open for further replies.