I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I completely understand why you have argued from a very specific but confusing position..

1. Do you have any audio science knowledge at all.

I would not say science knowledge, but engineering knowledge, yes.

Built a speaker or an amp?

Haven't built any speakers. Have designed several amps. I built my first amp for a church PA system I designed in the mid-80s.

I do not know if you have any background or you are just here to argue semantics.

You could find out by taking a peek at my profile. That might answer one or two of your questions.

2. If you are not even a buyer of the products then I have to ask what horse to you have in this race?

I don't buy because I'm not yet convinced that any difference in cables is worth the money. But I'm here to be convinced and to learn something and also contribute my experience.

My reason is simply. Im waiting for someone to actually prove the differences then I can spend more money!!!

So it looks as though we're pretty much in the same boat although 'prove' is too strong a word for me, I prefer 'convince me of'.

Until then Im going to keep asking people to step up and do proper testing and get some measurements before they post any conclusions about any cables.

I'm also not yet convinced that DBTs are 'proper testing' so that's another reason I contribute. I'm open to being convinced of that but so far, no dice.

@ abraxalito,

i tried to make a distinction between "perceiving" and "hearing" some pages ago too, mainly because the reaction of the auditory system to a stimulus is sometimes measureable while the subjective verbal description of a perception not necessarily reflects this reaction to the stimulus.

It is possible to percept something that is not there and
it is possible to not percept something that is there.

Unfortunately in our discussion in this thread the second part (while quite important in any test situation) is often omitted.

Yes, I agree with your point. But the issue goes even deeper than this. All things we perceive are 'not there' - in that experiences are not in the (objective) world, they're in our (subjective) awareness. The link between these two is provided by our subconscious perception processes which create the awareness of sound from raw vibration.

It goes back to the old question 'when a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?'. The answer is no, sounds are only made when there's a vibration AND a perceiver to transform that vibration. So the notion of 'a sound that's really there' is nonsense - the only things which are 'really there' (meaning detectable in the 'objective' world) are vibrations.

It goes back to the old question 'when a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?'. The answer is no, sounds are only made when there's a vibration AND a perceiver to transform that vibration. So the notion of 'a sound that's really there' is nonsense - the only things which are 'really there' (meaning detectable in the 'objective' world) are vibrations.

And are there really vibrations if there is no 'instrument or measurement' to detect it?

No wonder philosophy like this died out. It can go no where.

Completely off topic question! AFAIK chinese does not have a set number of characters (eg we have an exact number of letters in the alphabet), rather there is hundreds if not thousands of characters??

That kinda makes it difficult to translate to a keyboard doesn't it??? So how do they overcome that problem??

Nice, how many op-amps in the circuit

Oh really Andre, you're not going to run the silly "op-amps sound different" argument are you? In any case, the ABX box I used was itself ABX'd with straight cable and was found to be indistinguishable from the cable. But, hey, you'd have to trust DBTs to believe that result.

Pauses for endless circular arguments from those who don't trust DBTs,....then reaches for the popcorn.:cool:

try to be convinced, grasshopper

<Big garbage snip>

I'm also not yet convinced that DBTs are 'proper testing' so that's another reason I contribute. I'm open to being convinced of that but so far, no dice.

Might try reading a book or two on experimental design... try googling multivariate analysis... I know, I know... how do we know any of this stuff is THE TRUTH?

Many of the sceptics (I hope!) don't give a rats butt whether "believers" consider multivariate testing and analysis (of which DBT's are a subset) is 'proper testing'. Since at least some of us have used such methods for decades with stellar success (several patents, rapid progression through the ranks of aerospace and high tech printing business, medical management, etc.), we're way ahead of the pack of fools claiming extraordinary events w/o a shred of evidentiary data, except (it's what I hear, man, don't you get it dude?)

'Tis a shame really, you're missing sooo much... I hope anti-DBT'ers don't use any of those drugs out on the market; most of them were developed using variations of what anti-DBT'ers so vociferously shout down.

John L.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm in a roomful of priests discussing sex. With adult women, that is.

Since you raise sex, I'd say its a good analogy. It takes two to tango and by and large its men doing the talking here. Ever talked to women about their experiences of sex? Then talked to the men those women had sex with about their experiences? I suggest you'll find surprising discrepancies in the accounts.

It might go something like this :

Man : Wow I was so incredible, she was totally blown away by me, I went on for at least 30mins.

Woman : I barely had time to think about what I needed to buy at the supermarket and then it was all over.

Haven't built any speakers. Have designed several amps. I built my first amp for a church PA system I designed in the mid-80s.

So it looks as though we're pretty much in the same boat although 'prove' is too strong a word for me, I prefer 'convince me of'.

Thanks for the answers...I do not look at profiles so I didnt know. Its cool you have built amps.

Typical English major....trying to argue semantics..."prove" to strong vs "convince me of".....They mean the same thing.

DBTs are valid and used in many other industries (the proof is out there for you to read) so there is zero reason for those that have never done them to strongly question them.

Much the same may be said with regard to an actual audible difference.

It seems that 'actual audible difference' here is crucial to your arguments. So let's look much closer at this phrase.

Please say what is meant by 'actual audible difference'. Do you mean that a rigorous DBT/ABX test must be performed? With trained listeners? With how many choices? And the null hypothesis must be rejected? With what level of significance? Seeing as accuracy is what we want then we really do need to pin this phrase down.

And are there really vibrations if there is no 'instrument or measurement' to detect it?

Oh, I thought that would be a obvious one. When the meteorite fell in Yucatan, what created the crater?

No wonder philosophy like this died out. It can go no where.

Flawed reasoning as there's no evidence that it has indeed died out. But if you have some, please do go ahead and post it.

Completely off topic question! AFAIK chinese does not have a set number of characters (eg we have an exact number of letters in the alphabet), rather there is hundreds if not thousands of characters??

Yep, some estimate up to 20,000 characters. Been drinking again? - verb agreement is suspect:p

That kinda makes it difficult to translate to a keyboard doesn't it??? So how do they overcome that problem??

Well when I've typed Chinese I use pinyin, which is the standardised way of turning mandarin Chinese sounds (not characters) into alphabetic characters. Then having put in the pinyin, the software gives a choice of the most likely characters to correspond to that pinyin, one is selected from a submenu and off we go. Sounds long-winded but when I've observed Chinese chatting using MSN I reckon they communicate more quickly than I do using English, possibly due to the compact nature of Chinese grammar/syntax.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers...I do not look at profiles so I didnt know. Its cool you have built amps.

So you think its cool to have built amps, but not to have designed amps?

Typical English major....trying to argue semantics..."prove" to strong vs "convince me of".....They mean the same thing.

What gave you the impression that I'm an English major? I believe your statement that they mean the same actually means 'they mean the same TO ME'. They didn't for example mean the same to Andrew Wiles whose first proof of Fermat's Last Theorem convinced him but did not convince another guy who found a hole in it.

DBTs are valid and used in many other industries (the proof is out there for you to read) so there is zero reason for those that have never done them to strongly question them.

Arguments from authority.

What I find odd is that the most vociferous voices keep coming from that other side.
If you listen more carefully, you would hear the laughter.

Strong belief maybe?
In Logic, rationality and science. Sure.

Without actual proof....what gives you the right to play judge?
Your objective claims.

Where is your proof anyways?
This snapshot thread, amongst others.

I hear, I percieve, I think, I imagine
Hence these threads.
Stick with enjoying your imaginations, no problem. Project them into the really real world of soundwaves with the soundfield...and you've got your problem.

Maybe some do not think at all.....
Exactly correct. Changing cables, caps, bricks, lifters, etc, etc... requires zero thinking. A caveman could do it. ;)
Creating a uniform polar field in a reverberant environment with low dynamic compression, etc, etc...does require thinking and scientific knowledge.
Hence one being popular amongst believer audiophiles...and the other well beyond their capacity to think.
Man's got to know his limitations :).

cheers,

AJ

Since you raise sex, I'd say its a good analogy.

It might go something like this :

Man : Wow I was so incredible, she was totally blown away by me, I went on for at least 30mins.

Woman : I barely had time to think about what I needed to buy at the supermarket and then it was all over.

Or very much like this??

YouTube - Business Time - Flight Of The Conchords (Lyrics)

(girl) 'Is that it??!!'

(man) 'I know what you're trying to say girl...you're trying to say " ooohhh yeaaaahhh, that's it!"'

(please have a look, fantastic)

Oh, I thought that would be a obvious one. When the meteorite fell in Yucatan, what created the crater?

Fits the definition of measurement. A record.

Flawed reasoning as there's no evidence that it has indeed died out. But if you have some, please do go ahead and post it.

Yeah, I left out 'amongst the everyday people'. Try this stuff with the 'guy on the street', watch the eyes glaze over.

Yep, some estimate up to 20,000 characters. Been drinking again? - verb agreement is suspect:p

I agree, I have heard that before you know, the majority of prosecutors agree that many a case has been lost, because verb agreement is suspect. So don't use it m'k?

Well when I've typed Chinese I use pinyin, which is the standardised way of turning Chinese sounds (not characters) into alphabetic characters. Then having put in the pinyin, the software gives a choice of the most likely characters to correspond to that pinyin, one is selected from a submenu and off we go. Sounds long-winded but when I've observed Chinese chatting using MSN I reckon they communicate more quickly than I do using English, possibly due to the compact nature of Chinese grammar/syntax.

Think I got it. Obviously not a keyboard with twenty thousand characters. I've never texted, but the same sort of thing can happen there too?? (type a letter and a progressively smaller list of possible words come up the more letters you type in....I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.