I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps "expert" would have been a better word. Among those who have spent their professional lifes study audio and perception there is very little disagreement.
I find that curious because, unless I'm misrepresenting your findings, you have a very different opinion on distortion than the one that's driven the industry since feedback was first properly quantified. I don't at all question that you arrived at it by measurement and auditory testing. When I asked way back there where you thought the industry would be without the 'bad influence', it's because what I've seen of the mainstream is chasing better measurements (lower distortion, lower noise, flatter response, all into load) but otherwise non-audio metrics like miniaturization, smaller size, better power/bandwidth efficiency and lower cost. The general tack to non-linearity has been 'kill them all by any means necessary and let the ear sort it out', whereas your approach (if I understand correctly) is much more targeted. I question if most experts would agree with it.

Most, if not all, people that I consider experts do in fact agree with me, what the others think is their problem. The data is there plain as day. Ignore it at your own peril.

Earl,

I remember when the issue came up as to looking into a standard for perception of loudspeaker distortion. You and others though it would be a good idea. I thought life was too short for such an issue, look at how long we have been working at the existing SC04 work. It was interesting how much progress was made and what is still available to work with.

So I think it is not a matter of the folks who have a clue agree with you as much as you have done the research and do not spout off silly stuff, so there is almost nothing to disagree with. As you continue to work you will learn still more and refine your designs as others have done. That is quite different than disagreeing or even being wrong.

Perhaps the gravest issue approaching is Button is no longer buying!

One of those vodoo priest should pick that up in a new marketing campaign: "Due to the reduced cable length we could dramatically increase the use of hyper expensive mumbo jumbo in our cables".
It's people like Roger Russell and the Audioholics crew recommending questionable lengths of 18 gauge as 'fine'. Save for a few notable outliers it's likely that for any given application the wire hawkers recommendations are generally for larger gauges and lower impedance. Danged if you do, danged if you don't; selling wire is the new scarlet letter.

Speaker cables might make a subtle difference, but then again so would keeping the overall length to a minimum.
Isn't it curious that the makers of high end speaker cables NEVER tell you to buy less of their product.

Never? How about this quote from a cable manufacturer's MD.

"And keep all cables as short as you possibly can-any idiots that say otherwise are talking tosh!"

As someone who uses the shortest IC possible on my monitors I can actually say that I don't think that logic is exactly correct. It will depend on the specific situation most likely and if the excess cable ends up being coiled or not. But with cables that aren't the same length you can possibly get a non symmetrical stereo image. With surround sound where the speakers are all a different distance from the source this is something that should be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.