I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! I'd absolutely want to hear them first BEFORE deciding how they sound!
Sorry about my confusion Tom, I saw you telling SY that the Arpeggios would be entry level vs the Sachikos judged by what you saw and Terry being and F & an I for judging based on what he saw. Clearly that's not what you meant and I apologize for any misunderstanding.

[*]I don't know if having the binding posts inline causes enough of a sonic difference for me to hear. Darn AJ you acting as if you think I believe anything and everything causes a sonic difference!
Actually Tom that wasn't so much directed at you as it was a general statement. I see JC and others frantically grasping at metal "purity", "grain alignment" and other desperation esotericism while missing (evading?) the fact that the binding posts (on his Wilsons) are anything but. Right smack in the middle of the ecstatic electrons path. Strange eh?

Concerning the FE206ES-R having a rising response that this driver didn't, what you're discovering is the well known differences between published specs and how Fostex drivers often sound sound and measure, when they're in installed in the proper enclosures for the specific Fostex driver being used!

I've never heard of Fostex making "custom" drivers for anyone before! Perhaps you can ask your friend more about them and get the specific driver name?
The truth of the matter is Tom, the breakup of the driver is intrinsic and completely unrelated to the enclosure. The enclosure will determine the response around and below the baffle step. That is why the Arpeggio guy is using filters, to correct these response deficiencies. Measurements will show the sound waves. What you hear (and like) after that is purely subjective.
If I attend the ATL DIY I will ask again. Pretty sure they were custom and intended as a SOTA fullrange commercial product.

If and when I change wires it would only be the speaker wires. Serguei Timachev from Stealth told me I could audtion the Dream speaker wires ---{with a security deposit of course}--- when I got the Stealth Sakra's to audtion. As I'm using Stealth M-21 Super power cords and Sakra ICs and love them both, it only makes sense to me I listen to their speaker wires too.
Absolutely. Yes, it makes perfect sense to put a security deposit on a pair of wires. Can't say I've done so myself (funds tied up in a silly down payment on another house), but if you're not sure about how those wires will sound, it makes perfect sense to try them first.

The DBT with SY will happen unless SY changes his mind. That's a given but, I live in a manufactured home community and the parkings extremely limited and yes they do tow cars. When I have members of Central Florida Audio Society, Space Coast Audio Society and SETriodes Group over for listening sessions they carpool for that very reason.

I thought since you live in Tampa but, from your response it doesn't sound like you want to come unless it was when the DBT occured so now we'll just have to wait and see what happens. It's ok, no hard feelings, besides I'd have no way to access your laptop music through my system anyway.

Thetubeguy1954

Ah, didn't know that about the neighborhood and parking. Yup, can see that via Google maps. Even at the (pool) clubhouse eh? No problem. It would have been nice to have been there and met SY, heard your system, listened, measured,maybe even compared against some small bookshelves...but alas.
No hard feelings at all. It will happen eventually.
Btw, I thought the MasterSound wan an integrated with a multiple (analog) inputs switch in the signal path. No AUX, tape, etc. that I could plug into?

Of the drivers readily available these most closely resemble FF165Kdave
I'll ask next time I see him.

These are my favourites for quite a while now, they need very long burn-in time though, when new I wasn't impressed.
legend
How do they compare to Mogami?

cheers.

AJ

Last edited:
The EnABL process would have the same effect upon your treated drivers that it has on all drivers.

1.) Extended downward dynamics
2.) Removal of the last traces of "speaker" sound, leaving just music information
3.) Dispersal of the major resonance nodes on cone and whizzer.
4.) Extension of audibly uncompressed upper limits to dynamic range, without any artifacts to mark that extension beyond stock driver limits.
1) Concocted, meaningless terminology.
2) Verifiable false
3) Yes, that's sorta of what added mass does
4) See 1) & 2)

It is very typical for an EnABL'd driver to have greater than 110 db of crystal clear, coherent dynamic range
That is a verfiably false objective claim. Do you have a scintilla of objective data to support this objective claim?
Bud, it's one thing that the forum has become your billboard (with tacit approval) for your product. However it's an entirely different thing to false advertise with fabricated objective claims. I sincerely hope that if I'm banned that someone else challenges this.
Saying it "sounds great" and "measures like this" are two entirely different things.

By now enough folks have heard EnABL'd systems to know that these claims are simple truth.
Argumentum ad populum

How about sticking with try it/buy it, it looks/sounds great?

cheers,

AJ

In my case? The only experiment I'm running is the tg1954 interconnect swap. What's the "additional gear" you're talking about?

The additional gear is the ABX switch box.
So, it´s up to the experimenter to show, that the ABX switch box will not influence the results.

(As usual it depends on the objective of the test, but the discussion in this point war quite general)

A typical example for the usual way to deal with it would be again the Meyer/Moran test; (words to that effect) we added the ABX switch, listen and all thought that it didn´t not alter the sound. (Of course no blind test needed, so it might remind janneman to our discussion about the different treatment for claims).

Wishes

Terrific. So tell us about your method in your DBT's, since "disinterested" isn't "unknowing". How was the person switching blind to this fact? Do you analyze yourself to be a "non-adversarial" administrator?

<snip>

The latest attempt was to avoid any "unnormal" test protocol, so it was totally up to the unknowing (not knowing that they were part of a test) participants to do whatever they usually do to find out if they would prefer one unit over another.

They got just two identical looking cases with preamplifier electronics and should tell which they prefer. Marks were "a" and "alpha" (as single greek letter); the marks were switched randomly.

As we are only looking (usually) for unintentional/unconscious influence by experimenters/switchers, it is in most cases sufficient to shield the switching person from the participant (do the switching in a seperate room).

Another solution is to use the electronics (if it´s suitable for the test) for the random switching, by modification of the control circuits.

Wishes

Is it something similar?
Might be. Adding mass/stiffness/damping to a driver is nothing new. Just like people being influenced by the sight of dots.

The additional gear is the ABX switch box.
So you have somehow evaded the fact that there will be no ABX box in TG's test?:confused:
That the adversarial SY (or someone else?) will be manually hooking and unhooking the cables? Just like you did when avoiding an ABX box in your tests.
Now, if a disinterested person isn't an unknowing person, what exactly were your methods of blinding the hooker :)?
Can you reveal this secret while maintaining privacy of the results? Thanks Jakob.
Oh yeah, since a rational administrator is adversarial, how did you circumvent this also?

cheers,

AJ

The latest attempt was to avoid any "unnormal" test protocol, so it was totally up to the unknowing (not knowing that they were part of a test) participants to do whatever they usually do to find out if they would prefer one unit over another.

They got just two identical looking cases with preamplifier electronics and should tell which they prefer. Marks were "a" and "alpha" (as single greek letter); the marks were switched randomly.
I'm talking about the person switching the cables. How do you get them to not know they are switching cables?

As we are only looking (usually) for unintentional/unconscious influence by experimenters/switchers, it is in most cases sufficient to shield the switching person from the participant (do the switching in a seperate room).
So even if the switcher knows what is being tested, but is physically separated from the perceptions of those under test, this is ok?
But them being "disinterested" and switching under the same conditions...is not?

Posted by jakob2

A simple conclusive or inconclusive would be nice. Then I would know if it is worth digging up. What does "balanced" mean?

<snip>
Eric

Sturm did a double blind test on cables as part of his master thesis. It was done during the High End Fair in Munich with ~120 participants in at least 12 flights during 3-5 days. One of the objectives of this test was to show, that the more expensive (and technically better) interconnect would be preferred.

It was a paired preference test with a forced choice answering scheme. "A better than B" "B better than A" and "no difference" .

As a control an only pretended switch was used in one trial in each run, so that the participants were in fact listening the same cable twice in a row.

This control trial was the only one, that had a nearly balanced distribution of preference for "A" and "B", in all other trials a more or less pronounced preference for A or B was shown.

The less expensive cable was preferred in a some trials, so no clear preference for the more expensive interconnect was shown. :)

Wishes

P.S. The cable manufacturer produced for this test two identical looking cables, so the switching person did not know about the cables, so regarding the hypothesis it was a double blind test.
In the control trial the switch was only pretended (assumed as it was not clearly described in the documentation), so the double blind condition wasn´t fullfilled in this trial.

I wish to point out something here that AJ does not appear aware of. First, my Wilson speakers have 'Superior' (brand name) banana connectors, and these were specifically chosen for their tight fit, even usable with a Torque Wrench tightening. These were selected for the original Wilson speakers by Dave Wilson, himself, and Parasound uses the SAME connectors on the JC-1 power amp, at our insistence. My speaker connecting wire is Cardas, and not especially pure. It is more 'geometry' than purity in this case that separates it from typical wires.
Also, I was asking here about CONNECTING wire differences, not speaker wire differences in my previous question.

Last edited:
<snip>

So you have somehow evaded the fact that there will be no ABX box in TG's test?:confused:

No, as stated before, this thread is not exclusively devoted to the SY/TG test, so we are quite often discussing issues related to other tests or testing in general; so it was in the case of the ABX-switch box. :)

That the adversarial SY (or someone else?) will be manually hooking and unhooking the cables? Just like you did when avoiding an ABX box in your tests.

See above.

Now, if a disinterested person isn't an unknowing person, what exactly were your methods of blinding the hooker :)?
Can you reveal this secret while maintaining privacy of the results? Thanks Jakob.
Oh yeah, since a rational administrator is adversarial, how did you circumvent this also?

It doesn´t matter if the "switchers" were unknowing or disinterested, as long as it is excluded that they influence the results.
AFAIR it was planned that the persons leave the room while the others act.

Wishes

Last edited:
I'm talking about the person switching the cables. How do you get them to not know they are switching cables?

I simply don´t understand the goal of your question. In a paired preference test it doesn´t matter if they know or not, as it will be switched between the different DUT every time.

So even if the switcher knows what is being tested, but is physically separated from the perceptions of those under test, this is ok?
But them being "disinterested" and switching under the same conditions...is not?

If the switcher is separated, than you don´t need a disinterested switcher because it doesn´t matter.

Wishes

I don't know if it is the same idea,but Spendor (and maybe others) were coating their polypropylene coned drivers with that sticky "paint" 25-30 years ago,when others who were using polypropylene cones wern't.
Is it something similar?
Hi Panicos, i think you'll find is was being applied to "Bextrene" cones as they weren't particularly well damped. I think Polypropylene generally doesn't need the stuff as it's has inherently better internal damping :)

No idea on your question though :D

Bests

Mark.

Hi Panicos, i think you'll find is was being applied to "Bextrene" cones as they weren't particularly well damped. I think Polypropylene generally doesn't need the stuff as it's has inherently better internal damping :)

No idea on your question though :D

Bests

Mark.

Hi Mark,I used to have a pair of Spendor SP2/2 many years ago,and their polyprop mid/bass drivers were treated with the sticky layer.Rogers on the other hand,were not treating their PP cones.I used a Rogers LS6 for some time as well as Studio 1a.

Status
Not open for further replies.