I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me neither at first, but I think I'm beginning to get the idea.

In general the subjectivists hear differences between cables. Some of them speculate about the causes for those differences, even make fairly outlandish claims for them. But those claims and speculations are quite secondary. So the issue for them is that different cables sound different.

SY on the other hand seems to make the claims and speculation a primary issue. So if/when a DBT is devised which does indeed reject the null hypothesis he wants to find out why. That's why he's been posting up ideas about measurements - both electrical and acoustic.

Yet there's a disconnect here - the general subjectivist position is not that 'cables sound different for non-mundane reasons' rather its the much more conservative 'cables sound different'. By introducing the concept 'non-mundane' he's providing himself with a fall-back position once a DBT does indeed verify the audible difference between cables. At that point he'll be able to say 'but I can measure it' so its not a non-mundane difference, I was right all along. I was only against non-mundane differences and this positive DBT test proves I've been right all along.

He will then go on to claim that the non-mundane difference he can measure confers pathogenic qualities on the cable - thus fulfilling his self fulfilling claim that there are no audible differences between non-pathogenic cables.

There is so much faulty logic in this thread that I now consider it a source of entertainment rather than serious debate.

If a cable is specifically designed to be a signal processing device with chokes or transformers or what-have-you, it could certainly be audible if the series impedances are significant with respect to the load within the audio band OR if the driving amplifier was designed by a salesman.

I took it that those were all covered by LCR differences. After all, chokes and transformers are basically Ls with smaller parasitic Cs and Rs. But I'm not aware of a cable myself which was designed to be a signal processing device.

I have no idea of what the impedance of ferrite-containing cables is- I've never seen or used any, so can't estimate the effect (or lack thereof).

Impedances generated by ferrites generally go up into the 100s of ohms, not much higher than a couple of k. But their magnitude isn't the issue here, its whether you've included such cables in your 'mundane' category or not. Its very unlikely you've never used such a cable, just not so likely you've used one as an audio interconnect. For example, the notebook I'm using now has a ferrite built into its power cord.

Please define what you mean by "transfer impedance."

Its not a contentious issue to my knowledge so this page at Belden's site will give you the low-down. Transfer impedance is a quantitative measure of the cable's ability to reject impinging EM fields, so perhaps you implicitly included it when you cited 'poor screening'.

Shield effectiveness Transfer impedance

Any details on setup? How were you able to isolate the results to the cable (i.e. what did you compare it to?) It would take a miracle cable to generate that much distortion, unless it's that active one Stereophile tripped over a few years back.

Hello RDF

Oh boy! Look at the FFT instead. If I close the measurement loop and do a Sine sweep I get the same basic measurement. I wasn't posting it as a "oh look how bad this cable is", someone asked so I did a quick measurement and frankly I didn't think it was horrible at all. Just another case of a cable not adding anything that wasn't already there.

Hello John

After a couple of measurements I see what you mean. Thanks for pointing it out.

Rob:)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

In response to a direct question, I might point out that at normal test equipment measuring levels, most audio cables have no significant distortion. About 15 years ago, following VDH's lead in finding a change of resistance at very low levels of voltage, I decided to make some distortion measurements on cables approximately 30 times lower than normal measurement voltage, and I found differences in various audio connecting wires. I would have preferred measuring 100 times to 1000 times lower, but my test equipment was never designed to measure in that region, as NOISE dominates any test done due to the design of the test equipment and its method of distortion measurement.
My first 'hypothesis' or opinion was that I was measuring what VDH had measured earlier and refers to as 'Cross Crystal Distortion' or CCD. However, in following up with VDH and what he did write about regarding his test, my test voltages levels were off by about 1000 times from his, so I apparently am measuring something else. I now think that the most likely hypothesis is non-linearity in the ground return connections in the cables, themselves, often made with cheap shielding material and mechanical connections.
In any case, the measurements are consistent at a given time interval and use time on a particular cable. Some cables like the JPS, measured outstandingly well, and still are used by me as calibration references. A similar result was with a VDH cable that was designed specifically for video use. Both cables are 75 ohms and use teflon insulation. Many other cables measured all over the map, some very expensive, others very cheap. It was impossible to know if a specific cable would measure well, from either looks or cost, before measurement. However, specific brands of cables tended to measure the same, depending on burn-in that sometimes made a 'bad measuring' cable measure better at a later time. The real problem, and why I found it important was the excessive amount of higher order distortion added to the signal at these nominal working levels in an audio system, much akin to crossover distortion in some power amps.

AJ vd Hul is just scraping the surface of what goes on here. There's more, much more.
I'll repeat it once more: many years ago I posted an animated gif file showing electron migration and crystal growth due to voltages applied to a conductor.
This research was done at the same department AJ vd Hul has had parts of his testing done and where I have my info from.
Whether these effects are audible or not remains to be seen but at least they're measurable and show that cables change over time, that manufacturing processes have an impact on the conductor and so has storage and so on.

All of the above led to the development of A.J. v/d Hul's carbon fibre based cables and concurrently to our development of the purest possible silver and gold conductors.
We knew why and so did a major American manufacturer. Our instructions for manufacturing were basically the same as those for the medical industry.

According to Mr. Kuhn, time will tell....

Cheers, ;)

Last edited:
This was noted long ago abraxalito. Any previously unconsidered effect, once demonstrated possible, gets claimed. If you go back through the thread some still insist to the brink of meltdown a cable-induced oscillation isn't audible, nor potentially is the FR variation due to, say, speaker cable inductance into a low impedance or Zobel'ed tweeter. Granting any point knocks too much stuffing from the straw man.

Robh3606, that's what I saw. I couldn't correlate the IM spectra with your THD vs. FR. Far from demonstrating no effect, if accurate those measurements really are a demonstration of "oh look how bad this cable is".

At what frequency?

Well it varies with the ferrite material, but we can safely say this isn't going to affect anything in the audio band. Generally the losses will be felt above 1MHz.

What's the series impedance?

That was the series impedance that I quoted you. No shunt conductance to speak of as these ferrites are around the exterior of the cable.

You're correct, I do have lots of ferrite power cords. Never occurred to me to use them as a speaker cable or interconnect; has that ever actually been suggested?

In general I think audiophiles don't like ferrites. Some say they make a harsh sound, not listened to any differences myself. I wouldn't use them on speaker cables because at the currents involved there, there might be non-linearities down into the audio band, but they might have applications for interconnects, especially digital ones.

Actually, a Firewire external soundcard I've been borrowing has clip on ferrites for the Firewire cable and the wire from the wallwart. I couldn't measure or hear any difference with the ferrites there, but I'll bet they're helpful in some situations.

Speaker cables? Maybe, if you're living right in the main lobe of a 50kW transmitter. I wouldn't be surprised if some amps that are designed to have ridiculous bandwidths could also benefit.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Does it really matter how the test is performed? If it indicates an audible difference then it must be flawed yes?

Not really but the use of Naim amps can fall into the category of amps that aren't stable under all conditions.
Playing the devil's advocate that would translate into cable upsets amp...Hence, cable test invalid and I tend to agree.

OTOH I submitted myself to hundreds if not thousands of all kinds of tests over a period of 25 years or more.
I can confidently state "I perceive" differences.:D

Cheers, ;)

Actually, a Firewire external soundcard I've been borrowing has clip on ferrites for the Firewire cable and the wire from the wallwart. I couldn't measure or hear any difference with the ferrites there, but I'll bet they're helpful in some situations.

What did you measure? In the work I'm currently doing developing active speakers, a simple THD test does not show anything particularly untoward yet I'm definitely hearing something way above hearing thresholds. So I'm forced to conclude that THD tests aren't sensitive enough. Not yet sure what will find it, but I know its there because I hear it. And no, I haven't ABX'd myself yet:D

Speaker cables? Maybe, if you're living right in the main lobe of a 50kW transmitter. I wouldn't be surprised if some amps that are designed to have ridiculous bandwidths could also benefit.

Yep, it will be a trade-off. I think Martin Colloms has noted in the past that amps can be sensitive to RF ingression into the ground terminals of their speaker outlets.

or they are... for THD.

Right, I wasn't quite explicit. They're not sensitive enough to pick up some audible differences, but they work just fine to pick up non-linearities in the audio band transfer function.

Or there's some severe limitation built into the word "simple."

No, that can't be it. Argument still stands if I drop the word 'simple':D

But maybe what you're hearing isn't THD.

Right, because the THD measures around -80dB 2nd harmonic and I'm sure that would be a very quiet thing, if audible at all above masking.

Possible the issue is something else, no?

More than possible, I'd say strongly probable. Working hypothesis is my most recent hobby horse - noise modulation from RF (or alternatively RF-based intermodulation, take your pick). Which is why I think ferrites might well make an audible difference.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

In general I think audiophiles don't like ferrites. Some say they make a harsh sound, not listened to any differences myself. I wouldn't use them on speaker cables because at the currents involved there, there might be non-linearities down into the audio band, but they might have applications for interconnects, especially digital ones.

Audiophiles, people that actually listen to music, not measurements, have all kinds or preferences related to what they feel is musically correct.
The use of ferrite coils on interconnects or speaker cable, while measurably benificial outside the accepted audio bandwidth seem to have a negative impact way down to what's assumed as audible.

The list of what's assumed audible or not is endless, power cords are just one of them....

Cheers, ;)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
:cop:Thanking members for the participation and ideas in this thread. Almost 15000 posts certainly covered the topic enough. Unfortunately too much of a baggage thread also, steadily creating animosity, high maintenance, and penalties for years now. This is the end of this thread, by DIYA's official will. No offspring threads please. Take care, and thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.