Fullrange IB with Dipole Sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2003, 05:23 AM   #1
taufern is offline taufern  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: Northwest United States about an hour north of Seattle WA
Default Fullrange IB with Dipole Sub

hey all...ive been rotting out here in the middle of the indian ocean for operation iraqi freedom and i cant wait to get back to my new speaker projects...i am really thinking about doing some more dipoles i.e. a dual 15" dipole sub with a either a fullrange Infinite box on top or a two way dipole or infinite box on top...i imagine something similar to chops' dipole sub enclosure with maybe a baffle suspended from the ceiling and time aligned if it is a two way suspended panel...so here are the requirements...

1. of course very detailed and precise imaging on and off axis...i love sitting in a room and listening but i also want to be able to walk around or listen from the kitchen...but cost cant be too incredibly high...i've already decided on the dipole sub design so im really just looking for ideas on the midrange 100hz and up baffle...

2. Volume...i really love to crank it up (who doesnt???) and these speakers will handle all kinds of music...rock jazz chicago blues funk soul harder rock classical and anything in between...i'd like to find something detailed yet wont completely lose itself at high volumes

3. price...since i am in the military i dont have huge amounts of cash but i know deals are to be had...i've been checking out the smaller fostex units i.e. 4-5" but dont know if they'd give me the volume i need maybe the fe166 looks like an option...so price shouldnt exceed 500 bucks for the upper panels (including x-over if any at all which will be a series type so keep that in mind)

4. I will be driving these speakers (for now) with a denon 3803 receiver as the preamp with an OMC 2 channel amp i scored from my dad (thanks man that amp rocks)...i have a pretty damn nice creek cd player but that can be changed as i will have a little cash sitting around when i get back but i will eventually look towards building my own amps but power available is about 100 watts or so into 8 ohms.

5. the subs can be part of a 3-way series x-over but i have not decided this for sure yet...i'd like to keep it a two way with a sub...

hope this is enough info for you guys to help me start brainstorming...dave i hope you have some input i know you're good with fr's
Old 25th May 2003, 06:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

nobody's gonna bite??? i really would llike some input on nice full range or wide range audio drivers or a great two way dipole upper range with the two way taking 100hz and up series crossed over...come on guys wheres the love
Old 25th May 2003, 06:21 AM   #3
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Try looking at the Fostex FE206e drivers. They are 8" models and can be had for around $180 a pair. They are efficient at 94dB @ 1 watt and have pretty decent bass extention to boot.

In fact, those are the ones I plan on buying soon!
Old 25th May 2003, 06:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks chops i was hoping you'd give some input...i am kind of worried about the effectiveness of that speaker in an open baffle or Infinite box because of its q but i really only need it to behave from 100hz and up...but i think i would prefer a driver not much larger than 6" to prevent beaming as the fe206e's have a reputation of having a narrower soundstage...but let me know how your 206's turn out im extremely interested
Old 25th May 2003, 06:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

how about one of the seas coax units...does ANYBODY have any experience with them if so what are their limitations...the idea of a time aligned woof tweet already done for me turns me on something fierce but then i wonder what happens when i really want to crank it and what kind of lobing this would produce...just another suggestion
Old 25th May 2003, 07:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Seas Coaxes

I use the Seas Coaxes in my car in custom fiberglass kickpanel enclosures, So i CAN tell you that they are good, but this is definitely not the type oof environment you will be using them in, so my input may not really apply to you. I'll say that they are extremely natural sounding, and have excellent dispersion.
Old 25th May 2003, 02:43 PM   #7
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have used a Fostex FF85k in my open baffle and even this small speaker fixed me to a sweet spot only 50 cm wide. Now I use a very small d´Appolito System as a midrange-and-up-system in the same configuration. You won´t get this german system ( http://www.speakertrade.com/site/pro...p?product=Mmhe ) in the USA, but this little MHE 280 Mark 2 has a by far better horizontal dispersion. So if you like to walk around while listening you should consider a two-way-approach for your midrange-and-up instead of a Fullrange speaker.
Old 25th May 2003, 03:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

There are plans for some passive 2 way dipoles on the Linkwitz site. Check in the protoypes section. Also on the Linkwitz site, in the FAW section for the Phoenix he has links to sites of other dipole builders, including some very inexpensive efforts.

Steve
Old 25th May 2003, 05:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, Dave hasn't picked it up yet, but when he does he will recommend this as one option :

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/tlB/index.html

And, for me, from what you describe, you'd like this too:

http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Solo206e.html
Old 26th May 2003, 07:14 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

the seas coaxes definitely seem like an interesting choice...maybe a series xover might not work for these...if i did i'd have to go with a 3rd order series xover and ive never built anything higher than 2nd order series x-over...i could go active but once again i have never built an active filter...maybe some ideas on where to get started could help me get through it but for the moment i want something close to or on level with the phoenix but i'd like to save some cash at the same time...the two way upper panel almost seems like a must now that i talk about it...does anybody know where i can find formulas for driver displacement...i.e. with this size driver at this frequency it has to move this far to produce 100db...as i would rather have a single driver covering from 100hz to maybe 2500hz or so and with slope the tweeter would be high passed on a 1st order series network at around 5000hz or so...the mid will probably be a little lower to compensate for baffle step at the same time...just ideas here guys...once again i'd like to keep it as simple as possible (thus the 1st order series xover) so i guess i really need drivers 6.5" or around there to be able to have low distortion wide dispersion and natural roloff if possible...ive been looking at some of the eton units perhaps the long throw 7" at madisound looks like an option...tell me what you guys know about this speaker and others similar to these characteristics

Hide this!Advertise here!