S12 OB - Returning to true OB - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2009, 06:15 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I am afraid you don't understand anything of this Telstar.

/Erling

Last edited by skorpion; 25th November 2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 25th November 2009, 06:29 PM   #12
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
I am afraid you don't understand anything of this Telstar.

/Erling
I beg your pardon?
Old 25th November 2009, 06:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Why should you ?

/Erling
Old 25th November 2009, 06:38 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I am sorry, thread would be useless now I suppose.

/Erling
Old 25th November 2009, 06:43 PM   #15
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
To the right on top of the 6.5'' midrange driver in the picture are two Dayton ND20FA-6. They are mounted back to back in a short piece of plumbing tube. Diameter of this 'point source' is 4,5 cm, depth is 3,3 cm.
I have not listened to them yet, still using the double Monacor DT 25N on the left. But the Daytons are almost half that size and should be even better imaging.
I have a handful of ND20FB drivers I've meant to do the same thing with - the only issue I see is power handling. Tell us if they burn! Otherwise, they look to be very good for the application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
Regarding baffles and No baffles, Gainphile seems to take a step 'backward' with this new baffle and Rudolf, as always, going front to improve our stereo sensation.

Couldn't the two of you settle this discussion, also provoced by Stig-Erik's thread, of baffles or no baffles, small or more substantial, by measuring various baffle sizes and no baffles at different angles. I suggest 1 m distance and 15, 30 and 45 degree angles, in room measurement. This would be very clarifying for our future developments.

/Erling
There are lots of measurements around the forum - the results are fairly simple - the smaller the baffle, the higher the dipole peak. Dipole speakers maintain a uniform off axis response up to about the dipole peak, then it degrades. (Additionally, the magnet/frame structure interferes with things in the 1-2kHz range.) The compromise with smaller baffles is more low end loss of sensitivity. How anyone wants to apply this is up to them and subjective.
Old 25th November 2009, 06:48 PM   #16
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
This one is to build a true open baffle with its simplicity (no h/w/u -frame etc.) I think there is something about them which other variation simply can't match.

Obviously the low-end output is severely limited .
Looks nice! I enjoy your explorations. Something to consider wrt the 'sound' of your woofers is that you are probably pumping more power into them - so if you wanted more things to 'worry' about, you might be getting more heating in the voice coil, and distortion from your amp. Just food for thought. I worry about this stuff, but only a little.

Old 25th November 2009, 06:49 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Cuibono, thanks !

I was not really aware of your observations. I can see that baffle size is very much dependent of subjective thoughts and some objective overwiews regarding baffle size. Possibly the 2.2 rule of thumb would be the best then ?

/Erling

Last edited by skorpion; 25th November 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 25th November 2009, 07:28 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

About the Daytons, if you ask me they are a bit low in sensitivity. I have used the Monacor DT28N but they may also be less omnidirectional than you would like.

/Erling
Old 25th November 2009, 07:35 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I think I may have abandoned my first question too fast ? May be baffle and no baffle is a more fundamental question ?

/Erling
Old 25th November 2009, 09:21 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
My only explanation is, with h/u frames the polar response is not as uniform as simple OB.
Does it matter much at and below 125Hz? I don't think so.

Would you post some measurements?

By the way, nice looking speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!