need advice regarding painting the cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
hi,
I have finished building my cabinets. I am now looking to paint them. They are constructed of MDF and looks similar to the magico minis. I would very much like to paint them in a high gloss black paint. I have looked all over the forums and other places on the net. There are several ways to go about this. They all seem very tedious.

I have a different idea however. Would it be possible to take these cabinets to a car painting shop and have them paint them in metallic black?
Has anyone tried this?
How was the outcome?
Do I need to do any prep work?
How does automobile metallic paint hold on MDF?

Thanks for the help,
Eitan Waks

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
yes, I know, I'm lazy! :)

despite being half comatose when not at work, I really want the finish of the speakers to come out beautiful. That's partly the reason I'd like a professional job on this. So, what do I need to ask at the shop? Which preparation should I do at home?

but in all seriousness, the reason I'm not doing it by myself is not because I don't have the time. It's because painting it is a little difficult for me being wheelchair bound. In fact, I didn't even cut the boards myself, rather I designed the speaker. I guess that's the part I enjoy; designing something and then seeing it come to fruition.

Eitan Waks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.