Does a digital crossover with RCA (unbalanced) input/outputs exist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All the popular digital crossovers have balanced input/outputs.

I know I can buy a mod to my DCX2496 (that costs close to $800 for a 6 ch mod) but Im still curious if one exists on the market (without someone modding it).

I know the Hypex amps have RCA connections but I just need a digital crossover.

I also know that I can just do RCA to XLR, XLR to RCA but I have always had many issues.

Perhaps you should not give up on the Behringer DCX so quickly. It can actually sound fairly good with more modest upgrades. The XLR to RCA conversion can be done in different ways. You may have not chosen a good method. What were the problems?

Given the price of the Behringer, you would be hard pressed to find a better value. To get a substantial improvement with a different brand, you may find that option very expensive.

I have not given up on the DCX ( I own 3 ) and I have a RCA to XLR setup (NAD T-175 -> DCX -> Emotiva amps) and a XLR to XLR setup (Onkyo 885 -> DCX -> Outlaw amps). I have done the wiring in all ways possible (DIY, purchased,etc).

I like my XLR to XLR setup the best but I do not want this thread to be about the DCX, I only posted that Im aware (and own) DCX because I wanted to make sure it was known.

Im really just curious if there are any digital crossovers with RCA input/ouputs. I have a bedroom DIY project that it would work great for.

The hypex choices are awesome, I did order them to only cancel the order a day later since I wouldnt need them until 2010 and Im hoping the US$ improves :(

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The DEQ-P9? Digital x-over with a few choices of freqs.

Bass : 63 Hz, 100 Hz, 160 Hz, 250 Hz
Treble: 4 kHz, 6.3 kHz, 10 kHz, 16 kHz
Level adjustment range: –12 dB — +12 dB (1 dB/1 step)

Not sure what the slopes are...

Thx!

Found this info on the P9.

LOW:
Highpass frequencies: 25 Hz, 31.5 Hz, 40 Hz, 50 Hz, 63 Hz, 80 Hz, 100 Hz, 125 Hz, 160 Hz, 200 Hz, 250 Hz
Lowpass frequencies: 250 Hz, 315 Hz, 400 Hz, 500 Hz, 630 Hz, 800 Hz, 1 kHz, 1.25 kHz, 1.6 kHz, 2 kHz, 2.5 kHz, 3.15 kHz, 4 kHz, 5 kHz, 6.3 kHz, 8 kHz, 10 kHz
Gain: 0 dB - -24 dB (0.5 dB steps)

MID:
Highpass frequencies: 200 Hz, 25 0Hz, 315 Hz, 400 Hz, 500 Hz, 630 Hz, 800 Hz, 1 kHz, 1.25 kHz, 1.6 kHz, 2 kHz, 2.5 kHz, 3.15 kHz, 4 kHz, 5 kHz, 6.3 kHz, 8 kHz, 10 kHz
Lowpass frequencies: 2 kHz, 2.5 kHz, 3.15 kHz, 4 kHz, 5 kHz, 6.3 kHz, 8 kHz, 10 kHz, 12.5 kHz, 16 kHz, 20 kHz

HIGH:
Highpass frequencies: 1.6 kHz, 2 kHz, 2.5 kHz, 3.15 kHz, 4 kHz, 5 kHz, 6.3 kHz, 8 kHz, 10 kHz, 12.5 kHz, 16 kHz, 20 kHzLowpass frequencies: 8 kHz, 10 kHz, 12.5 kHz, 16 kHz, 20 kHz

Its a possibility buts its not cheap (DCX mods are cheaper). I just found the AudioControl DXS online for under $400 US, it seems to have my basic needs convered.

Although, I guess If the US$ wasnt so crappy then the Hypex DSP amps would be a perfect solution actually :(

It's just a matter of having the lead correctly wired for unbalanced use. Lots of people get it wrong.

I have all the different RCA to XLR designs you could imagine. Even custom DIYs with a ground wire out the RCA (for hum elimination). I have them all, purchased or built by experts so its nothing was wrong since I tested them all.

Of course, I didnt create the thread to discussion RCA to XLR issues. I simply want to findout if digital crossovers with RCA connections exist.

Sorry for trying to help you from spending $$$$ on a unit when it's probably just a $ set of leads that's the problem.

lol, you do release I own 3 DCXs already (2 in use) and I have about 10 XLR to RCA cables sitting around after I did extensive testing several years ago meaning there isn't a cable that can be wired different then what already I own.

Again, I do not need to discuss the DCX or any other pro audio DSP since I know all about them all.

Its simply a question of what Digital Crossovers have RCA (inputs/outputs).

I would like RCA to RCA connectivity in my NEW setup (the DCX setups are just fine). I can get it through modding my DCX (Paying for one) or I can ask online for an alternative.

Last edited:
The DEQ-P9? Digital x-over with a few choices of freqs.

Bass : 63 Hz, 100 Hz, 160 Hz, 250 Hz
Treble: 4 kHz, 6.3 kHz, 10 kHz, 16 kHz
Level adjustment range: –12 dB — +12 dB (1 dB/1 step)

Not sure what the slopes are...

Mine was a JDM import, so not exactly the same as a DEQ-P9 but pretty similar. Mine does not have a removable faceplate but has pretty much the same internals AFAIK.

It does the job, but to my ears, even a stock DCX sounds nicer. :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Rane is all XLR and barrier strip, AFAIK. Ditto Ashely and Phonic.
There are some auto sound x-overs other than the Pioneer that have RCA in/out.

OT:
I know I'm going to mad you mad Doug ;), the the only way I've found to get decent balanced to unbalanced with the DCX is via transformers. XLR out to RCA via transformer. I've tried lots of other schemes and they just don't sound good.

Let us know if you find a decent digital x-over that comes with RCA. I'm sure a lot of folks would be glad to find one!

The Rane is all XLR and barrier strip, AFAIK. Ditto Ashely and Phonic.
There are some auto sound x-overs other than the Pioneer that have RCA in/out.

OT:
I know I'm going to mad you mad Doug ;), the the only way I've found to get decent balanced to unbalanced with the DCX is via transformers. XLR out to RCA via transformer. I've tried lots of other schemes and they just don't sound good.

Let us know if you find a decent digital x-over that comes with RCA. I'm sure a lot of folks would be glad to find one!

Hey, cool size tag

I have followed the DCX modding thread for a long time with that sort of discussion. Even sent out emails to get my DCX modded just so I can compare the differences. I have not compared so I have no opinion. Now if you could guide me along in getting some transformers, I would love to try them.

The only digital x-over that I have actually found are the HYPEX amps that have DSP (2-way crossovers), very cool stuff too. Almost bought two in the summer.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just PM me, I'll help. And I think you have my email. "Mardis"

EDIT: Glowbug posted while I was typing. You can buy the Jensen bare transformers and DIY for a lot less.
Or buy some Edcor just for a listen - cheap! Then go with better iron if you like it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.