How sealed is sealed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How can I tell if my sealed boxes are sealed well enough? There doesn't seem to be any shortage of bass, but I've not tried anything too arduous.

Is it possible to tell from these impedance graphs?

:)

Attachments

• td15m.jpg
    td15m.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 432
  • td18h.jpg
    td18h.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 431
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
take 3V battery

apply voltage to speaker ; disconnect ;

if speaker is really sealed , then cone will travel back much slowly comparing to same speaker in BR box or out of box ;

you can try to listen around baskets of all drivers in box - every air leak is pretty easy to hear

be careful , don't push your ear in cone :clown:

If you want to tell from the impedance curve, you have to compare it to the impedance curve for the same driver in free air, away from reflective surfaces. When you put the driver in the enclosure, the impedance peak will shift up and the Q will rise in accordance with the T-S relationships with Vas and Vb. If you're not getting all the frequency & Q rise, then there must be a leak.

Joseph d'Appolito's "Testing Loudspeakers" explains all.:)

I should have explained myself more clearly - those are 2 different systems. I only got to doing the audio measurements a couple of days ago.

Red measurement is 15" mid in ~90L sealed - this corresponds to the impedance measurement with the big wiggle at ~170hz.

The other set of measurements is 18" sub in ~60L sealed.

Both systems unstuffed, undamped, minimally braced. I'm going to add stuffing when I've got the cabs painted.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.