HELP Sub box Construction question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Helo!
at www.speakerplans.com >construction guide-

the guy there reccomends to Drill countersinks on both sides of the butt joint that hes glueing

''5. You will need to make countersinks on both sides of the base. Make shallow countersinks on the side that the panels attach to and deeper ones on the underside you screw from.
''

why?/

im about to get my box cut,what should i do?normal butt joints with wood glue:scratch: :scratch:

i havent heard of doing this ,,is it to make sure that the wood isnt stressed while screwing the screws in??

(actually i lie,i havent searched,because the search thing is the most unuseful search ive used :p-it seems to just show a few of the latest posts from each forum lol)

attached-my philips 12inch i must find a box for (not this box)

Attachments

• picture 074.jpg
    picture 074.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 174
As I understand that article, only one piece of wood is pre-drilled, and the butt of the other piece is not. When the screw is driven, the underside countersink leaves room for the wood chips brought up by the screw to occupy and not wedge apart the joint.

I can't comment on how necessary it is because I don't use that technique at all. I clamp the pieces temporarily together, then predrill one hole roughly the screw length, which brings up the wood chips, and then drive the screw.

Countersinking both sides is a great idea!!

Leadbelly I am in Calgary too. Give me an email sometime. I just made a nice set of Tangband 871 speakers and a 4 channel Gainclone. DIY audio is great fun. I used glue only on the butt joints. You can get away with that using 3" drivers. Glue and lots of 2" 16 or 18 ga. brads driven in with an air nailer might be good enough too for a bass box.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I agree, the second c/s is just to allow the wood to stay flush when the screw is driven home.

Gringo

Another air nailer fan, great! I use them with biscuit joinery to make small and medium size boxes, but for a sub, I would still go for screws and clamps.

When you make a large enclosure, the size and mass of the panels mean that it needs to be held very firmly whilst setting, and for me, brads are just too flimsy.

I also own three battery drivers, so I can be almost as quick as with the nailer;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.