gluing mdf to veneer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all

i am building some speakers and i have a dilemma.

my panels are veneered all around. when butt joining them, should i glue to veneer directly or should i remove a strip so that i glue mdf to mdf?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 111
I'm guessing the veneer is actually vinyl, as most furniture board is? I know for sure the wood glue I use will not stick to any plastics or metals, that's EvoStick glue, some may be more tolerant. If it's real wood veneer it will stick, but it may compromise the integrity of the joint glueing to such a thin piece of material. Removing a strip to glue MDF to MDF is a sure way to get a good joint in this instance :)

I'm guessing the veneer is actually vinyl, as most furniture board is? I know for sure the wood glue I use will not stick to any plastics or metals, that's EvoStick glue, some may be more tolerant. If it's real wood veneer it will stick, but it may compromise the integrity of the joint glueing to such a thin piece of material. Removing a strip to glue MDF to MDF is a sure way to get a good joint in this instance :)

I'd agree.
I'd remove the vener just to be safe anyways. I'm sure an exacto knife would do the trick.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.