High END Drivers - Give me a hand to decide, PLEASE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Audiofanatic and co,

seems like netherlands is a soruce of some good speakers. I would love to see the plans on those electrostatics. my 1st expereicne with planar systems was very encouraging. I heard a pair of Maggie SMGa and they were very musical.

I'd lioke to see if I can build a planar speaker. howevr no one has been able to provide me with details plans yet.

Hi Navin,

Thats right,

The Netherlands has a great Club of DIY ESL's lovers and we learn a lot by telling each other what to do but mainly what we must not do! Cause they make that mistake allready!

A few guys have all kind of stuf to make the ESL's at home.
The cheapest is about 500 Euro if they still have the kit's.
The most expensive is 10.000,= Euro's

That's the Final 1700.

If you are interested, I can send you information regarding the ESL's I hope I can find it in english.

Regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Re: Another on-line source

Gregm said:
Check out snippets if you haven't already.

Some interesting links.

OTOH, info (plans?) for the big Finals would be interesting to have, indeed!

Hi Guys,

First of all, I'm not familiar with all the abreviations you guys use.
Whats the meaning of OTOH?

The Final clone's are made by myself. The big (metal) panels are made by a factory that has heavy tools to perforate the metal sheet. They are not cheap. About EURO 1000,= for 4 panels and they need to be coated for isolation.

The transformers are designed by Menno Van der Veen. Manufactured by Amplimo / Plitron.

If I can find some info on this, I'll put it on the forum.

Regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Audiostatic ES-100 For Sale!

Hi Guys,

My (Final clone) ESL's are allmost ready, and within a few weeks I'll put my Audiostatic ES100's for sale!
But before I put the ad on the Dutch eBay site, I want you guys to be the first to know about it.
The foil is new and the speakers are in exelent condition!
If one of you are interested, just hit my e-mail Icon beneath this post and I'll e-mail you back.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

These are old pic's of my Audiostatic's

Attachments

• es-100 esl.jpg
    es-100 esl.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 688
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
GUYDOLON.

Hi,

B- Gydotron.com's Gydoon: (Eidolon clone) with

Actually I know this person and his speakers very well...

If you like Avalons, you may as well like these speakers...

They do a lot of things very well, just don't expect a huge dynamic scale from them.

Same goes for the ELS in general...no offense.

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank,

Nice to hear from you, I did not expect a different approach from you regarding the ESL's. (No offense) ;)

Cause if you know the the Audiostatics and find that they have a lack in dynamics, I agree with you.
The original Audiostatics sounds really bad. That include the new DCI-2 and the DCI-4. BUT!!!!!!!!
If you can modify the electronic, than you will have the best sound you can ever get for this price. IMHO and a friend of mine that hates ESL's agree with me, the modifyed ESL's sound much better than Wilson Watt Puppy (he had the Wilsons) only the bass is different less booming with the ESL's.

If you are in Holland for whatever reason, please feel free to come and visit me and listen to my stereo. I live in Utrecht.

I look forward to see you in Utrecht. BTW. we (the ESL club) come together twice a year to look and listen to new ESl's made by the ESL fanatics in Holland and Belgium,. (bijdeze nodig ik je uit, zou het fijn vinden als je zou kunnen komen)

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Cause if you know the the Audiostatics and find that they have a lack in dynamics, I agree with you.

Ah, Ben Peeters...

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against ELS speakers as such.

I suppose it's a matter of taste and as with most other things in life a choice you make.

Back in 1985 I used to tweak my stacked Quad panels and they sure sounded fine to me...it was a man audience though.
If you move your head a little bit the whole thing fell apart.

Anyway, thank you very much for the invite...let me know in due time and I'll try to be there.

Cheers,;)

Eidolons are not my piece of cake after all....

Hi everybody,

Sorry for the long time in answering, but my computer died and it took me some time to get a new one....

I visited this weekend the london hifi show in heathrow, and have decided not to go for the Avalon Eidolon clones:

They had an outstanding level of information/detail and a very big soundstage, but they didn't manage to bring the music to life. They sounded dull, boring, distant, lean, bright, and non musical at all!

On the other hand, I listened to a setup using a Liendenmann cd player (or however its spelled!), a rogue audio pre, the biggest power amp I've seen on my entire life by Rogue Audio and a pair of Amphion Krypton...!

WoW!!!!
This system rocked!
It was sweet, had WILD dynamics, very good soundstage, and made MUSIC!!
This is the closest I've been to having a blues band playing in a living room!!
Apparently the midrange is from Seas Excell, but I couldn't recognise any of the other drivers used in the system...
Pricewise it is out of my budget, but by hi-end standards, I believe they are relatively cheap at £7000 pounds (Audio Physic Avanti money)
If I had the money, these are the speakers I'd go for...!

Unfortunately I don't have this kind of cash with me at the moment (give me a few years!), so I still have to go the DIY road....

The other options I am still considering are:

- Aria 7 with Audiom TD5 drivers and 7W4411 mid bass drivers.
- Seas Thor TL speakers with a millenium treble and 8 inch drivers in an MTM configuration
- ESG (now Aurum Cantus) based system
- No,,,,, I never liked electrostatics. I allways found them not to be rich enough for my taste.

Any help in deciding in between these systems will be trully and deeply appreciated!!!

Thanks for your feedback!!!!

B_online

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.