Small driver/cabinet design recommendation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2009, 07:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Small driver/cabinet design recommendation

Hi all,

This will be my first attempt at DIY.

I'm looking to build a cabinet as small as possible, but still allow the driver to work as intended. The driver will only be used for mids in a sealed box. The x-over will be set between 80Hz-200Hz.

I have yet to pick out a driver. Anything from 5"-7" will be sufficient. But size is important. The smaller the cabinet the better.

I have a pair of Usher 8948A. I know this is a larger driver and I might not be able to get the cabinet small enough. Any recommendations on how small I can go with these?
http://www.loudspeakershop.eu/pdf/8948-a.pdf

I've also been looking at the 5.5" Seas CA15RLY
http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=106&Item id=128

or the 6.5" Peerless HDS 830883.
http://www.madisound.com/pdf/peerless/830883.pdf

Any help or suggestions with either a cabinet design or driver will be appreciated.
Old 6th November 2009, 09:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by persisting1 View Post
I have a pair of Usher 8948A. I know this is a larger driver and I might not be able to get the cabinet small enough. Any recommendations on how small I can go with these?
This is a good driver and you say w/cut frequency about 80/200Hz meaning you have a sub or another woofer? As a mid you can make the box smaller, I think it might work. You will need then tweeters with the 8948s. What are going to be the drivers for low frequencies?
Old 6th November 2009, 11:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
This is a good driver and you say w/cut frequency about 80/200Hz meaning you have a sub or another woofer? As a mid you can make the box smaller, I think it might work. You will need then tweeters with the 8948s. What are going to be the drivers for low frequencies?
I have a ACI Force XL which uses a 10" driver that will handle everything below 80Hz.

Any suggestions on how small I can make the cabinet for the 8948s?

Inductor, a little side not. I have a friend who just got back from Cascais. She loved it

Last edited by persisting1; 6th November 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 6th November 2009, 07:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You have the possibility of making a closed box (blue=7,8L) with freq F3 about 80/90/100Hz. Also if you want a speaker (mid) than can run without the sub look at the BR boxes (brown=14L/red=13L). You get better integration, phase with closed boxes but have in mind that in the case of smaller boxes like 5/6L you have resonant frequencies (up) very close to 100Hz. So that's why I say the blue box seems a good compromise, maybe with a xover around 100/150Hz, you get the idea. I'm being flexible and someone will say different. This is a first approach that needs to be checked again.

Quote:
Inductor, a little side not. I have a friend who just got back from Cascais. She loved it
Really nice. Hope they had a nice weather too.
Attached Images
File Type: gif USHER 8948A Transfer Function Magnitude.gif (41.4 KB, 190 views)
File Type: gif USHER 8948A Cone Excursion.gif (39.9 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by Inductor; 6th November 2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 7th November 2009, 12:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help Inductor.

I think I'll go with a smaller driver. I'm looking for a 6" or 6.5" driver now.
Old 7th November 2009, 12:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think I'll go with a smaller driver. I'm looking for a 6" or 6.5" driver now.
That's not going to be easy. That's a very good driver (I say this from specs), unless you really don't have the space or it does not fit your design. It's a good start for a "Small driver/cabinet design".
Old 7th November 2009, 01:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Inductor, PM sent.
Old 7th November 2009, 05:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I understand that space is a problem from your PM and that you need your system on a table/workstation. I don't have a small speaker system, there are a few in DIY, from memory. Some people also say good things about COAX'S, in this case maybe (it) doesn't make sense. Maybe the Focal's www.zalytron.com/ for your project. The only problem, is that the metallic cones, like the one you have (in second), are difficult to work with. Maybe someone can chime in.

Last edited by Inductor; 7th November 2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 7th November 2009, 05:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Look, as another example, at Mid Woofers drivers Mid Woofers - Meniscus Audio Group, Inc.| Speaker Components |, like in your 3.option above. Set some max prices for those, also, so others can help, or get a complete (new) DIY project with xover made by others.
Ex: SEAS, ER15RLY SEAS, ER15RLY by: SEAS Prestige - Meniscus Audio Group, Inc.| Speaker

But as you are working with a sub you don't need this so much, just a/the mids section/mid woofer project. This is for a 5" MID-WOOFER. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/HDS134_DX.htm

Last edited by Inductor; 7th November 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 9th November 2009, 10:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Inductor,

What would be the smallest cabinet I could build for the Seas CA15RLY?
THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS - H1216-08 CA15RLY

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!