Ideas on Speaker Enclosures...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a few ideas for the speaker enclosure I'm about to build, and would like some input into whether they will affect the sound or not. :)

1.) Attaching a rounded piece of MDF to the port that is inside the enclosure to reduce any noise that may arise from moving air.

2.) Attaching "ribs" to the inside surfaces to disperse sound waves and help reduce resonance. Using a router, semi-circular tubes with the flat part glued to the inside surface.

3.) Covering the metal driver frame/magnet with sound absorbing material. What type recommended?

4.) Having the crossover inside the driver enclosure, covered with the sound absorption material (the 0.5'' "pad" type).

5.) Making the inside surfaces as rough and bumpy as possible to disperse waves even more than just ribs?

Any questions or responses, please don't hesitate! ;)

I'll try to answer some as best I can :)

1. This will create a flared port, if you do it on the front too (reccomended) you'll have flares at both ends. A good idea generally, just remember to tell the software you simulate in that you are flaring both ends so it can compensate the port length for you.

2. A good idea in theory, but you must bear in mind that if you're creating only small patterns that they will only really affect higher frequencies, as the dispersion patterns must be larger for longer wavelength sounds. Rounded or sloping sides are considered a good idea and patterned internal walls can have benefits in full range systems where it is desired to use minimal stuffing material.

3. It'll be hard to get a thickness of material onto the frame that will be effective at anything other than treble frequencies. It is sometimes used on fullrange designs and the material would be thick felt.

4. Sounds fine, just account for the volume it occupies, especially if it has giant caps etc! Make sure nothing will shake loose from vibration, use cable ties+hot glue

5. Same as No.2

I'll try to answer some as best I can :)

1. This will create a flared port, if you do it on the front too (reccomended) you'll have flares at both ends. A good idea generally, just remember to tell the software you simulate in that you are flaring both ends so it can compensate the port length for you.

2. A good idea in theory, but you must bear in mind that if you're creating only small patterns that they will only really affect higher frequencies, as the dispersion patterns must be larger for longer wavelength sounds. Rounded or sloping sides are considered a good idea and patterned internal walls can have benefits in full range systems where it is desired to use minimal stuffing material.

3. It'll be hard to get a thickness of material onto the frame that will be effective at anything other than treble frequencies. It is sometimes used on fullrange designs and the material would be thick felt.

4. Sounds fine, just account for the volume it occupies, especially if it has giant caps etc! Make sure nothing will shake loose from vibration, use cable ties+hot glue

5. Same as No.2

Thank you for that, I'll have to keep number 4.) in mind when I do the crossover! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.