Wooden mid horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where can you get wooden horns like the ones below, or at least elliptical ones (not necessary wooden either) for compression drivers? 400hz or below cf. Only ones ive seen are Fostex H400 and the Pi speakers ones, but at ridiculous prices... Around 600 usd a pair is more realistic to me.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I payed 15-20Eur fore these, but throat need modification/smoothing

From what other members have experienced 400hz is really not good with a compression driver, I would think 700-800hz is better
At 400hz you may need 8-10" woofer

Attachments

• McGee.jpeg
    McGee.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 746
Last edited:
Wood Horn

Hello,

I use a little smaller horn speakers.

I use a Hemp FR8C Fullrange, and a wooden horn with BMS 4550 driver.

The horn is designed for 400 Hz - I use the BMS at around 1200 Hz.

I am still in experimental phase, but the sound is allready the best I ever had.

Excellent detailed clear sound stage.

With the horn you can hear detail, you never heared with normal speakers.

The Hemp is around 96 dB/1W.

The BMS is 113 dB/ 1W.

Attachments

• IMG_2095 copy 95.JPG
    IMG_2095 copy 95.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_2096 copy.JPG
    IMG_2096 copy.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 731
It shows that you never heard a good horn system ;)If you only experienced PA horns I'm not suprised . Wooden horns are very time consuming and expensive to make. Edgar sells his 350hz rough poplar tractrixes on Ebay/Audiogon for ~$1000 a pair. The fun with horn starts when you horn loading from 150 Hz (or lower).There is nothing like it.You don't hear stressed pumping ,just efortless dynamics. For people on budget (like me and most of readers on this site;) DIY is the only option.
PS .The door probably leads to the back chamber of the eight 515 altecs. I think the guy who built those concrete bass horns when asked about cost said it would be cheaper to put a new porsche in his living room.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I plan to try this little fellow in the mid horn
It can be crossed quite low
I wouldnt count on loud SPL tho
Its the clarity Im after
Total cost stereo is around 60EUR
But its just fore the fun of it
And as a learning process

Attachments

• TB 1.jpg
    TB 1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 523
  • McGee horn.jpg
    McGee horn.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Whats the cf of the horn?

Im not sure, but its maybe the H-1575 made by Zomax
But the Zomax I have seen cost twice as much
No specs there either
Mouth opening is 200x400mm
Smoothing out the throat may result in about 1-1.5" exit
It would also be relatively simple to prolong the mouth radius
I suppose 700hz would be ok

I mostly bought bacause it was cheap, and looked good :p

Last edited:
True. I've sure heard a lot of expensive and highly reputed horn systems, and at the end of the day, they all sounded like... horns. Mais, chacun a son gout...

I'm sure these were DBTs where you weren't influenced by the appearance of the speakers and not once did you look down the throat of the horn and think to yourself, "It shall sound like a horn."

John

I'm sure these were DBTs where you weren't influenced by the appearance of the speakers and not once did you look down the throat of the horn and think to yourself, "It shall sound like a horn."

John

That's true (i.e., I could be a victim of self-deception). Though hearing differences in speakers is not exactly an extraordinary claim.

Never heard Drew Daniels's monster JBL system. Maybe that's the Holy Grail...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.