Effect of mounting driver on the inside of a baffle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For me it really doesn't matter what technical term you attribute to unwanted distortion. What matters is that the sound is highly improved, especially at off-axis angles. I reckon especially your speakers would benefit greatly from back mounting the woofers. In fact I'm hugely surprised you didn't use this age old technique in them already.

I see. In general measuring the diffraction field, or the effects of diffraction can be very difficult.

-HOM - that can only come about as the result of diffraction IF the source is a plane wave. In this case it is quite clear what is and is not diffraction. But in the real world it becomes quite ambigous when the source may not be a plane wave

:bulb: i guess it complicates matters when something like a dome tweeter for example, doesnt radiate a plane wave...as far as im aware at least. And understandably, this is where mathmatical theory CAN predict the outcome, but ends up being intrinsically increased in complexity to the point when analysis of results is nigh on impossible.

I value the validity of mathmatical models, and measurements in design, but i feel there are many places it falls down. Take THD measurements for example. THD is important. but the difference between 0.01%THD and 0.001%THD really isnt likely to be audible, and frankly it isnt that important either. Same goes for TIM, likewise for group delay of less than 10ms. phase IS important though, same goes for wideband peaking; its more important than a narrow high q peak, and more audible.

unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on opinion) there are 2 kinds of speaker builders in this world, and they rarely see eye to eye.

1: The experimenter. In the golden days of hifi(LOL) bunged some drivers in a weird box cunjured up from nowhere, and found it sounded pretty good.

2: THE mathematician. heard said botch up and decided to try and rationalise the madness, and model the behavior for others to replicate in subsequent designs.

Both admirable in different ways.

one criticism of both types: the experimenter should botch less and read a little maths, and the mathematician should botch more and rely less on maths.

:headshot: my 2 pence on every speaker builder, including myself :headshot:

lol dont all flame me!!!!!!! i mean it with humourous good intent!

Last edited:
Measurements?

Thanks for the replies. Some of the thoughts I get:

Rear mounting a full range driver should help the highs by a small amount (maybe beneficial depending on the driver)

Multiway could require some crossover changes, but it would seem best to measure and compare to get the final word on how much effect it would have.

Yes!

Why don't you measure the response of inside and outside mounting on a huge baffle and compare?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.