Ideas on lower midrange horn for RCA 9584

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Would appreciate some advice from the collective expertise of DIYAudio.

Background - Having had no previous knowledge of speaker building, I've managed to fumble my way to build basically a Onken retro reproduction. Bass is Altec 414-16B in petite Onken cabinet. Mid is Onken 455ES compression driver on 425Hz Azurahon (Le Cleach). Treble is JBL 2405. This is based on the configuration introduced by Jean Hiraga in L'Mason Audiophile in the 1970s. Cross-over in theory is 1000Hz and 10.5kHz all first order but as usual is slightly different in practice.

It's actually sounding reasonable but the horn bug has bitten and I've managed to get my hands on some RCA 9584 compression drivers. These are rated 200-8000 Hz. The Onken 455ES is rated from 500Hz upwards so there's obviously a lot of overlap.

So the question is, what is the best lower midrange horn for the RCA 9584s to cover say 250Hz upwards? :confused::)

CV

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Allo JJ,

Obvious candidates are the Azura 160 and Stereolab 140.
Ideally the horn will have the throat angle matched to the driver, but now you have the bug, you may want to play with other drivers, in which case consider:

How about getting one of the above with say a 3 or 4" throat, and making an adaptor out of stacked discs so you can run 3" (JBL 2490), 2.sumfink (Renkus 5600) , 2" (2482) , 1.5", 1.4" etc...

cheers

rca suppose to be smoother than the jbls... renkus sounds interesting but now that i have the RCA might be secondary... it's just finding the best horn really for the RCA... at that frequency, it's not entirely clear that you MUST have a circular horn ala tractrix/lecleach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.