Need Simple Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Francec. Thanks for the quick reply. I know about electronics, but I am brand new to the audio circuits. Here is a MultiSim Schematic I made of the crossover.
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss306/VectorSpace/AudioCrossoverSchematic.jpg

And here is a dB Gain frequency response plot of each output.
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss306/VectorSpace/AudioCrossoverdBFrequencyResponse.jpg

From that info could you help me figure out what the crossover frequency is, which drivers I want and what I do want of the speaker?

These are new concepts to me. Much help needed.

"How do I determine what amplifier I need"
- base this on a: how loud you want to play; b: how big your room is; c: your budget.
in theory, for headroom, you need the same size amp for HF as LF, in practise you can get away with a somewhat smaller amp for HF.
Of course, you need to decide this and the crossover freq of the crossover unit AFTER you've decided on your speakers.
It's not clear whether you're going for a sub+satelite or 2-way woofer + tweeter system.
typical computer speakers and their amps are a waste of time.
For speakers of reasonable efficiency, 40w is more than adequate

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It doesn't matter what amps you use, as long as they have "enough" power. And it matters that they have a volume control.

The main thing you want to worry about is that you get the gain right. Everything after that is just frosting on the cake.

It doesn't matter what amps you use, as long as they have "enough" power. And it matters that they have a volume control.

The main thing you want to worry about is that you get the gain right. Everything after that is just frosting on the cake.

:) Thanks for the input panomaniac.

Does everyone else agree with maniac? I would just like to get a second or third opinion before I go and buy anything else!

I'm not really that interested in quality. This is for a school project. I just need to demonstrate that I am splitting the audio spectrum into two separate frequency bands.

So what speakers and amps would you guys use to achieve this goal?
a pair of chipamps running on ~+-20Vdc would easily do this duty.
A small heatsink will be required, if both drivers, bass/mid and treble are 8ohm impedance. If you can manage with frequencies >=40Hz then small smoothing capacitors>=2200uF (4off for two channels) will do. Select a transformer of about 15Vac-0,15Vac-0V or 18Vac-0,18Vac-0 and about 50VA to 150VA.
A crossover frequency of 1kHz to 3kHz will be appropriate. Drivers could be 5inch to 8inch bass/mid and treble can be a 50mm cone or 20 to 40mm dome, or even a piezo tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.