diy WMTMW SEMI OPEN BAFFLE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I WOULD LIKE to hear some serious thoughts about a big full range WMTMWdiy loudspeaker,with top hi-end drivers,using a compination of two worlds,the bottom woofer and midrange will be in a sealed box,and the upper mid and woofer will be in open baffle,i never saw a design like that i am thinking to build.Any strong recomentations for a woofer (12" or more) ,an excellent mid and a fine tweeter?

sealed box vs open baffle

We well know that a woofer driver sealed in a box delivers stronger bass than a woofer in an open baffle,but the later operates in a more natural free way that eliminates the boxiness,the same occurs for the midrange drivers,so why not make a compination of both worlds?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Yeah, but you still have the supposed boxiness using closed bass and mid

Are you suggesting that additional non boxed drivers will elliminate the boxiness on hand

Well, there might be some out phasing going on, but I have no idea about what will happen exactly

SB29RDC tweeter ~ $50
compromise: it's not a dipole like some ribbons

Tang Band W6-1721 ~ $80 DIPOLE MIDRANGE
compromise: some rear dipole block from large motor

AE Speakers IB15 ~$125 DIPOLE WOOFER
compromise: 85db efficiency - need to parallel and boost with separate amp

Attachments

• SB29RDC.jpg
    SB29RDC.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 522
  • TangBandW6-1721.jpg
    TangBandW6-1721.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 510
  • AEspeakers IB15.png
    AEspeakers IB15.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Tang Band W6-1721 with 0.5 Qts is suited for dipole midbass.

AE Speakers IB15 appears capable of low frequency dipole bass with a tall WMTMW baffle. Two in parallel ~ 92db/watt

Fs: 16Hz
Qms: 6.8
Vas: 439L
Cms: .45mm/N
Mms: 220g
Rms: 3.239
Xmax: 18.5mm
Xmech: 25mm
Sd: 830sqcm
Vd: 3.07L (p-p)
Qes: .78
Re: 5.5ohm
Le: .33mH
Bl:12.49
Pe: 500W
Qts: .7
1WSPL: 86dB
2.83V: 87.3dB

I do not know of a dipole tweeter that sounds as good as the SB29 dome.

Attachments

• DipoleBaffle.jpg
    DipoleBaffle.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 357
Hello,

I see your response on DIYAUDIO.com to a project with a picture, did you build the speakers in the pic? if so, you have done a fine job, very good looking room, are you running passive or active, If your passive is this something you can share, I'm kicking around idea's, My last pair of speakers where Troels Gravensen Acapella SEas version, Its been sometime and its time for another project, preferable a bigger project, I do like the looks of yours, If you can share it may I please impose.

Thanks Mark

If I need to choose OB and sealed between high and low frequencies, I would go OB at low and sealed at high. The Best is all OB except below the room fundamentals where sealed is good.

There is no loss of bass with a correctly designed OB bass.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Tweeter: Dynaudio Esotar T330D
Mid: 2 x Scanspeak Revelator 6.5" 18W8531G00
Woofer: 2 x Scanspeak Revelator 10" 26W8861T00
Sub: (2-4) x Peerless XLS 12" 830500

Sorry for now I do not have the time to post for the project and answer questions. I do plan to do an open project earlier next year for a WWMTMWW OB speakers using possibly all Peerless drivers. I have 4 x 5" HDS and 8 x 8" HDS Peerless drivers already so I think I will use those existing drivers to build another pair of OB speakers.

Now you got me sens 93 and 120 db + my push-pull 300b intergrated is just crying to build a system like this, please share with me...... I wanna build a pair too.. PLEASE !!!

Yes they are OB active 4 ways (subs hidden). 93dB sensitivity. 120+dB SPL. Wide dispersion at treble, cardiod towards midrange and upper bass, dipole bass, and monopole below room fundamentals. They are still at the final stage of development.

If I need to choose OB and sealed between high and low frequencies, I would go OB at low and sealed at high. The Best is all OB except below the room fundamentals where sealed is good.

There is no loss of bass with a correctly designed OB bass.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi, good work! If you can help with advice! Two woofers Series IB15 per each speaker, but for mid and twee. ATC SM75-150S and SCAN SPEAK D2905/9900 also can help aobut crossover, thanks............:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.