Will this work? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2009, 01:20 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I build some speakers about 25 yrs. ago. I wish I had this at the time. It should make life a little easier for you.

Crossover Design Chart and Inductance vs. Frequency Calculator(Low-pass)
Old 25th October 2009, 10:24 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ok cool, thanks, this looks like it will be pretty helpful for doing basic crossovers. I'm guessing just doing a basic crossover like this worked well for you?

I'm not looking for perfection, so I'm guessing that with the fairly flat response of the aurasound and the tang band, that just a simple 2nd will work fine? if thats really all i should be looking to do, then i will just plug the numbers into the calculator and go for it.

Or should i try and worry about zoebel networks or other more complicated circuits?
Old 25th October 2009, 12:19 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yes, I used a first order (just a cap) for the tweeter, second order crossover (cap and inductor) for the woofer, mostly because it was what the orginal design had, and I didn't know any better. Now I would have used a second order for both, since inductors aren't that expensive and to tighten things up a little more. I'd say most speakers, at least the ones I have replaced caps on, costing less than $600 or so, use a 2nd order crossover. But I did it calculated the crossover, the old fashioned way with a calculator and pencil. (before the internet was available.) I had a pair of Cerwin Vegas, with a 12" woofer. A 2 way system which I replaced the woofer and tweeter. It was when polypropylene woofers were just coming out, just to give you an idea how long ago it was. I think the woofer was a polypropylene Pyle woofer, and the tweeter was a soft dome Peerless. I was very happy with the change in the sound. It was a whole lot clearer, and tighter.

Last edited by maindude; 25th October 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 25th October 2009, 08:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

cool, thank you much
Old 25th October 2009, 08:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Oh, one more question

So on the calculator, it tells the phase shift. is saying that the speakers are shifting that much from each other or from the source material?
Old 25th October 2009, 08:50 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

From the signal they're feed.
Is enough?
Old 29th October 2009, 07:16 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

So they will both have the same phase shift?

and i would only need to worry about the shift if i were using a subwoofer or other speakers?
Old 29th October 2009, 08:00 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

check this ones :

tweeter:

CAT298 - Morel 1" Silk Dome Tweeter - EUROPE AUDIO

Woofer :

H1224 - Seas L18RNX/P 6.5" woofer - EUROPE AUDIO

I used this Seas woofers to replace the originals in JBL LX400 (3 way) and im really happy with them. Good and tight bass , never boomy , i play music really loud and never had any problems with them.
Old 29th October 2009, 08:42 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

those both look great, but are way out of my price range right now
Old 29th October 2009, 09:30 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SState13 View Post
So they will both have the same phase shift?

Both speakers will have a phase shift (the same between the woofer and tweeter) Unless you're talking about ultra high end speakers, the shift is not audible, and still debatable among ultra high end speakers. I have never heard it, so I wouldn't be concerned. This guy explains it better that I could:
http://www.trueaudio.com/st_mr2.htm

and i would only need to worry about the shift if i were using a subwoofer or other speakers?
No. However some subwoofers come with a 180 phase shift switch. It's just a matter of personal taste. I have never used that switch myself.

Hide this!Advertise here!