Adding a Supertweeter....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this:

A TW consisting of a Peerless SDS-164-THP (830657) and a Hivi research X1-A. Crossover:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I want badly to add a supertweeter. The X-1A is a nice tweeter but it's just not punching up in to that "sparkle zone" I want to hear.

How can I wire this up? Especially with a minimum to no(?) changing the existing x.o. in the box? What's the best (cheap) supertweeter? I intend to mount it in a separate small enclosure sitting on top of the main cabs.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Vifa XT19 is sweet, highest quality and affordable
Vifa XT19TD00-04 3/4" Ring Radiator Tweeter from Madisound
Just mount a small cap on XT19 terminal
+ or - ? I dont know
You may need a small series resistor
Mounted between cap and tweeter it makes the cap bigger, sort of
Within limits you may be able to fine adjust rolloff and precense with this resistor

Maybe try it as OMNI, which means the tweeter plays upwards
Or try it back mounted

Just wire it all to speaker main terminals

Or you can try to connect it directly to main tweeter terminals, but may need a resistor in between, but could be more tricky, dont know

edit, another one http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-735

#

Last edited:
So the cap on the xt19 terminal... series or parallel? I'm guessing it's parallel? then the series resistor between the cap and the tweeter on the pos lead?

What's a good ballpark for resistor value so I know what scale of pot to buy? I'm assuming after I know approx R value I can buy a linear pot to find my fine tuning? This totally bypasses the existing crossover??

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
So do the attenuating resistors go before or after the cap?

Depends
Some use a series resistor on both sides of cap
I wouldnt use traditional L-pad with paralel resistor
Just use series resistor only

1. Resistor between cap and tweeter makes the cap seem bigger, meaning rolloff will be lower than wiithout the resistor
Higher impedance results in smaller cap fore the sam xo point
Meaning that when increasing tweeter impedance with a series resistor results in slightly lower xo point fore a fixed cap value
Theres both pros and cons doing that

2. The series resistor before the series cap is easier to change value without effecting series cap as much

3. All in all this means that with the first resistor you can change attenuation only
And with the resistor after series cap you can fine adjust both capacitor, AND attenuation

I have doubts about second attached xo

Attachments

• filter5.gif
    filter5.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 368
  • filter6.GIF
    filter6.GIF
    4.4 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Depends

1. Resistor between cap and tweeter makes the cap seem bigger, meaning rolloff will be lower than wiithout the resistor
Meaning that when increasing tweeter impedance with a series resistor results in slightly lower xo point fore a fixed cap value

2. The series resistor before the series cap is easier to change value without effecting series cap as much

3. All in all this means that with the first resistor you can change attenuation only
And with the resistor after series cap you can fine adjust both capacitor, AND attenuation

Excellent tinitus, thanks so much. What do you think my starting values for the resistors should be?

Depends

Excellent tinitus, thanks so much. What do you think my starting values for the resistors should be?

Also what about this one?

Yes, this is a 2-year old thread. Rather than start anew I would prefer to add to what's already here.
Subwoofers receive virtually all the attention. I'd like to focus on the other end of the spectrum. Ideas, opinions, links, experiences, etc. on stand-alone supertweeters are welcomed. Either sharing an output with another loudspeaker or as part of a multi-amp system.
I'm contemplating the latter actually. Reinforce the bottom with multiple subs, but what of the highs? I've got the in-between covered for right now, but can probably get a little more out of it.

Yes, this is a 2-year old thread. Rather than start anew I would prefer to add to what's already here.
Subwoofers receive virtually all the attention. I'd like to focus on the other end of the spectrum. Ideas, opinions, links, experiences, etc. on stand-alone supertweeters are welcomed. Either sharing an output with another loudspeaker or as part of a multi-amp system.
I'm contemplating the latter actually. Reinforce the bottom with multiple subs, but what of the highs? I've got the in-between covered for right now, but can probably get a little more out of it.

I think this subject would deserve a new topic.

Here is George Augspurger's opinion on the subject
In some installations I mounted two 2405's in a vertical array, tilted slightly to widen the vertical pattern. In other installations only one 2405 was used but I provided two mounting holes - one on either side of the high frequency lens - to allow for stereo symmetry without having to build two different mounting baffles. When Capitol Records installed custom monitors in their mastering rooms they filled both holes and performance was surprisingly good. As many speaker designers have discovered, scattering the sound energy above 5 kHz or so gives a pleasant "airy" effect without affecting stereo imaging. Mounting two 2405's a couple of feet apart, with one slot horizontal and the other vertical, supplies this kind of ambience.

SUNSET SOUND RECORDERS

I think this subject would deserve a new topic
Hey, I'm just runnin' with the pack here.:) So far everyone in the thread seems to be referring to add-ons to existing speakers, but the thread title doesn't require it to be so. I was imagining a dedicated amp and pair for my own diy project. If add-on gives better results, I'll do that. I appreciate each and every response.
From the link: "The room is a relatively small space considering the size of the main monitors"
I love how they worded that. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.