routering the truncated design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many of the "Better Buys" in loudspeakers have truncated flanges which when it comes to making a clean mounting hole presents a problem for me. Using scrap material I've tried to free hand the operation and the results were'nt particularly pretty. There probably is a simple solution which alludes me so I hope someone can point me in that direction. I've made jigs for round flanges but the odd shape stuff is a mystery. Any thoughts???

If you're speaking of something like the Peerless HDS midwoofers, it might be better to surface mount them anyway.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152307

Here is a thread describing one method. I have seen a few other threads showing how to use your router with a circle jig to cut truncated round flange cutouts (with just the combination of circular + straight), for other shapes such as octagons with sharp corners, there seems like no easy way to flush mount, unless you just cut out a circular shape, put the driver in place with some tape around the flange, then fill the gaps (similar to how I made my template in my thread linked above).

EDIT: oh, and it would probably be better to wait at least a day before "bumping" your own thread...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.