Definitive Technology drivers help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks, DIY newbie and have a question and hope this is the right area.

I picked up some used Definitive Technology BP8's at a pawn shop for 120 bucks and they sound good but pulled out a driver and saw that it looked cheaply made.

1- is this a good deal or should I return them?
2. With the $120 can I pick up some drivers and hardware that can rival the sound with a DIY build?

I am itching to use my power tools to build some speakers but want to hear what the pros think first. Thanks.

Your discovery is the jump-off point for many a DIYer. After seeing what goes into an expensive commercial design, some people, like me, swear to never pay for a set of Polk / JBL / Klipsch / whatever, ever again. The biggest, most expensive Definitive Technology bipole uses 7" woofers that cost $11 a piece (ask me how I know), accounting for less than 2% of the total cost of the speaker.

In this case, your find is quite acceptable. The BP8s are a fine example when compared to all the other horrifyingly marked-up trash out there, and were bought for a very good price. Beat them for under $120? Unlikely. Under $120 with a sexy enclosure comparable to what you already have? No way. I say congratulations; enjoy your find. Just hang around here a little more, and when you have the bucks, you can relegate the DTs to the garage and showcase your first DIY set in your livingroom. Win / win.

BTW, bear in mind that a driver can sometimes appear a little cheap, but be the right unit for the job it's intended for. I have a set of 8" fullrangers with a whizzer cone that look like they belong in the rear deck of a seventies Impala, but are among some of the best speakers I have ever owned. I also have a set of car audio subs that scream expensive at you, but are far from it, and are poor performers to boot.

Last edited:
Your discovery is the jump-off point for many a DIYer. After seeing what goes into an expensive commercial design, some people, like me, swear to never pay for a set of Polk / JBL / Klipsch / whatever, ever again. The biggest, most expensive Definitive Technology bipole uses 7" woofers that cost $11 a piece (ask me how I know), accounting for less than 2% of the total cost of the speaker.

In this case, your find is quite acceptable. The BP8s are a fine example when compared to all the other horrifyingly marked-up trash out there, and were bought for a very good price. Beat them for under $120? Unlikely. Under $120 with a sexy enclosure comparable to what you already have? No way. I say congratulations; enjoy your find. Just hang around here a little more, and when you have the bucks, you can relegate the DTs to the garage and showcase your first DIY set in your livingroom. Win / win.

BTW, bear in mind that a driver can sometimes appear a little cheap, but be the right unit for the job it's intended for. I have a set of 8" fullrangers with a whizzer cone that look like they belong in the rear deck of a seventies Impala, but are among some of the best speakers I have ever owned. I also have a set of car audio subs that scream expensive at you, but are far from it, and are poor performers to boot.

Thank you. A very insightful response and I learned a lot from it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.