Newbie with Proac 2.5 clone questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys I'm new here on the board. I decided it was time for some new speakers as my current ones are some old, small KLHs. I want to get into a much better quality system.

I have had a lot of success building boxs for cars, so I think that I should be able to build some speakers without too much trouble. I have been looking at the Proac 2.5 clones mainly.

My first question is, how will these work for front speakers in a home theater setup. This is only a secondary use as I mainly want them for just music.

And also what kind of amp would be best paired with these speakers. (For theater and music) If it would be cheaper I can build and amp too.

another total unrelated question from a newbie:
What's a gainclone?

Thanks guys

Tyler

I use the 2.5s as front speakers as well as for music. They work well for both duties IMHO. They are not to sensitive but I have no problems with a pair of GainClones or with my Denon A/V receiver.

A GainClone, as originally named, is, AFAIK, a close to minimal chip amp built with either LM3886 or LM3875 and a "copy" of the 47 Labs GainCard (http://www.sakurasystems.com/). Read the threads here and it will not all come clear but a little bit clearer...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.