6moons fullrange measurements - Lowther vs. Fostex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fostex driver measures so much better then a 1700$ Lowther?

Those are only on-axis (and 1 filtered) FR curve. Toole's new book summarizing 40 years of research shows that that by itself is of little help when it comes to correlation with what people find better.

Toole's metric, which he has shown correlates with blind listening tests, requires 70 FR measures in an anechoic chamber good down to the transition frequency.

Since that is not likely to be possible for any of us diyers we just have to listen, and use the FR measures we do make as a tool.

dave

True.

I am no longer afraid of a rising response in a full range driver and a fe206e may be in my future.

The highs arn't supported as well 10' away (the larger the driver, the less off axis dispersion as you go up the freq range).

Or you just sit a little off axis.

I remember a comment about the fostex ft17 (perfect looking frq at madisound).
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/fostexdrivers/ft17h.pdf

"Well, I was up too late last night Googling for the Fostex FT17 and there are many people recommending it. There were a couple of exceptions though, notably Dick Olsher who tried one with his BassZilla and found it made a spitting noise!" (from diyaudio)

and Olsher saying ft17 lacked resolution............ (can't remember but if forced I may be able to find it).

Yea, a waterfall plot, harmonic distortion, and IM distortion would help decribe a driver better than just a freq response.............

But I agree, those graphs SCARE me !!!!!!!!!!!

Norman

Attachments

• Dx234_1c.jpg
    Dx234_1c.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 267
I have not listened to these speakers, but I have listened to many speakers with different harmonics distortion profiles. So looking at the harmonic distortion of a certain speaker gives me a good idea of what it'll sound like. I think what Martin King and others find so magical about these speakers is due to their high ( IMHO unacceptable) 2nd order harmonic distortion.
I think Troels Gravesen did not like Lowthers, because he is used to using high quality scan speaks and seas drivers which generally have very low harmonic distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.