All SB Acoustics MTM ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a guy looking for something that will do old style rock music nicely, and am thinking of maybe something like an MTM using all SB Acoustics drivers
SB17NRX x2 + SB25STC. (I do have a pair of Vifa DX25's on the shelf I could use as the tweeter instead).

I haven't seen much around using the SB17 yet, and was wondering how much bass one might get from a pair of them.

So, has anyone used them in this sort of configuration yet ??

If so, box sizes, porting etc would save me some work!

TIA AG

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
After further discussions, seems like we are back to square one.. He is more something like a WMTMW arrangement. There are a few floating about , but mostly with Dayton RS drivers. eg Khanspires

hmmmmm.. some thinking needed. :spin:

Admitting this may expose me as a simpleton, but that rolling smiley face made me laugh!

Andy I know this is a little off the mark, but would your friend consider a moderately sized two-way, or is it WMTMW for sure? I know soft cones have fallen out of favor a bit, but I find this midbass very interesting, and have wanted to do something with it for a while:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=1464

Personally I like the sound of poly cones, though I guess they give up some detail. To me, they seem handle distorted guitars and heavy vocals well, probably because they smooth out the harshness a bit with their high internal damping.

Anyway, with the driver above, you might be able to pull off a 2nd order crossover with the right tweeter, though I'm not sure to what extent that would limit maximum SPL. Plus that phase plug looks cool!

Jim

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have a guy looking for something that will do old style rock music nicely, and am thinking of maybe something like an MTM using all SB Acoustics drivers
SB17NRX x2 + SB25STC. (I do have a pair of Vifa DX25's on the shelf I could use as the tweeter instead).

I haven't seen much around using the SB17 yet, and was wondering how much bass one might get from a pair of them.
i would go for bigger woofers...
remember old rock was mixed and listened on big speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.