Child proof grills

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know roughly how to build grills with speaker cloth, but I don't think that will suffice. I need a metal grill, maybe. Something like Sonus Faber has, but more DIYable.

Can I use some sort of metal netting for grills, i.e. mosquito netting but maybe a with larger holes? Or metal grate? It should stop a pencil or pen. I don't know how well speaker cloth does this.

I was thinking of using magnets to hold the grills on instead of those plastic pins/inserts they have for this task.

Home Depot sells fireplace screens that can be easily converted for smaller grills. The one in a picture is hold by the magnet force of the driver.

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 514
  • speaker2.jpg
    speaker2.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 500
I stapled some pet proof screen door screen under what will be fabric on top of these grills. I could have used fireplace screen, but this door screen material was free for me. The grills are held on by neodymium magnets. The routing jobs on my speakers are kind of rough. I felt like I had to rush it, since I had limited opportunities for routing because I live in a apartment.

Attachments

• SDC12285.JPG
    SDC12285.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 397
  • SDC12286.JPG
    SDC12286.JPG
    396.3 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Here they are with the fabric on them. I needed to paint the staples black and maybe the wood also. You can see them through the fabric. The fabric I had before on these grills you could not see through very well. But I will probably redo this fabric later anyway.

Attachments

• SDC12296.JPG
    SDC12296.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 323
  • SDC12297.JPG
    SDC12297.JPG
    395.7 KB · Views: 143
  • SDC12298.JPG
    SDC12298.JPG
    396.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I Know that when our company specifies steel grilles for commercial nightclub use, the general rule is to use a perforated sheet that has at least a 50% open area.
Obviously the more open area the better. Unfortunately the finer perforated sheets tend to be less that 50% open. One exception is 3mm Hole 4mm pitch that is 51% open. The holes need to be staggered in equidistant 60deg triangles.
Some square hole perforated sheets are more open. 8mm square 10mm pitch is 64% open, 10mm square 12mm pitch is 69% open, but I would not say this is pencil proof!
I feel your pain. Once my 2 Nepwhews came to visit, and immediately on walking in the door, in a synchronised pincer movement managed to push in both dust caps on the stereo. "You take the left, and I'll take the right." :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.