How to check if a Heil Tweeter is OK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently bought a pair of Heil tweeters (the "smaller" ones from Performance series), but after the first quick measurements and listenings there is something wrong: they behave very differently.

One has DC resistance of 4.4 Ohm, the other 6.5.

The first plays louder and its freq. response starts at lower frequency.

Some differences can be normal, but I think these are a bit bigger than what one should expect..

Which test(s) should I do to see if they are fine?

Cheers

Andrea:bawling:

Ps Here they are..

Attachments

• heil.jpg
    heil.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 245
Visual inspection of the ribbon pleats may show some heat damage (metal foils are out of shape or distorted).

Can try reshaping some of the damage with small tweezers. Or maybe just buy new ribbons and replace them. If you lift off the paper tops the ribbon is just glued on and can be removed. For new parts try locally or telephone ESS speakers in USA. They do not respond to emails. Cost maybe around US$40 each.

First of all, thanks for your reply.
Visual inspection of the front side gave no warnings, the foils seem at their place. Should I open it and see from the rear?

I noticed that between diaphgram and magnets there is a sort of wool, what's its pupose?

The tweets are not the full size AMT, I'm afraid that would be hard to get replacements...

Cheers

Andrea

PS What is a tweezer?

:cannotbe:

I opened them and...there I found.. no matter what, it was not what I sought !

After opening the "faulty" tweeter I noticed that the metal foils were in perfect order, and this puzzled me.. so I opened the other also : this was also good but not as "perfect" as the other. But there was one thing different: the glue!!
One had a transparent glue, the "faulty" had a white glue to hold it in place.

Also the color of the wires are different: one has red-blue, the other violet-blue...

In conclusion, it seems that the "faulty" AMT has a replacement ribbon. The different sensitivity can be partly caused by the different impedance, but is "normal" to have such a difference?

Cheers

Andrea / who quotes Byron (in some way..) and hopes to put an end at the disappointment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.