Novice speaker build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2009, 11:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Novice speaker build

Hi all can some one please help me. I have been into hifi now for about 30 years and i have allways wanted to build my own speakers.But the problem i have is i have no idea how to work the design out but im very good at wood work, I really fancied building a pair of TL speakers and have found a pair of bass units on ebay if some one could check them out for me to see if thay would make a good speaker that would be great. I dont want to spend much money on this project as its my first. But any help would be great. At the moment i am useing MISSON M71I thay sound so big for a small speaker but i would like a more extended bottom end. SORRY HERE IS EBAY ITEM NUMBER 200385306370

Last edited by bull041161; 21st September 2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: WRONG
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Googled the driver & couldn't find a speck of info on it. Personally I'd look for driver(s) more respected in the diy world. I could list some suggestions, but without knowing what exactly you're looking to build the possibities are endless. If I were to build a TL on the cheap this unfolded TL would be the one, although they drop like a brick below 40hz.http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projec...QWT/index.html For the most part a manageable size speaker with dynamic low end (say down to 30hz flat) is not going to be cheap even diy.

Last edited by steviedon; 22nd September 2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks STEVIEDON. Yes that would be ideal as it as a high spl but dont full range speakers lack the bass clout unless you use a subb. The sony drivers on ebay did get a good review at there time but that was in the the cabs thay were designed for. At the moment im useing a 41HZ AMP 6B that is only 25 watts and a modded MERRANTZ 63 sounds very good but i would like more bass than my MISSIONS M70I are giving
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sounds like you really like the missions. I'd just build a sub (if space permits) to integrate and be done with it.
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:55 AM   #5
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull041161 View Post
At the moment im useing a 41HZ AMP 6B that is only 25 watts and a modded MERRANTZ 63

sounds very good but i would like more bass than my MISSIONS M70I are giving
Well, then you would need bigger amp too

Maybe better look at building a sub with plateamp
But its not cheap to do properly

I just bought a pair of McGee horn and driver, very cheap
From a quick listen I think they have great potential
No shout or other nastiness
Mated with nice 12-15" woofer it may turn out very nice

Though, if you want to be certain of the result, find a proven design
Only, you may have to build it before having heard it, which also holds some uncertainty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McGee horn driver.jpg (18.9 KB, 204 views)
Old 22nd September 2009, 01:56 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

My guess is that those drivers are Foster OEM units. They are likely quite decent, but you will need to get a good idea of the T/S parameters before you can figure a box for them.

dave
Old 22nd September 2009, 02:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi again all thanks all for your help. I do like the little missions but i have allways wanted to build my own speakers and i wanted some thing with a bigger bottom end but for a first project i dont really want to spend loads of money. I dont really want a seperate subb as i have had one before and i was allways altering the phase and level it never seemed to sound right. But this speaker building is not as easy as it sounds to work out a box design you have to be a real maths boffin
Old 29th September 2009, 11:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi again all i have got a chance of some kef b200 large magnet and wondered if thay would make a good start for some TL speakers. I have read that i would need a line of two and half meters does this sound right. Any advice would be great
Old 30th September 2009, 12:08 AM   #9
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I have a pair of 10" McVoice on the way
At 27EUR they are really cheap
But no specs, so I take chances with this
Will be mounted in my old Lowther Acoustas

If you are very short on money it seems like a risky adventure to design your own
Though, the old KEF drivers were quite good quality
Maybe they would work in a quaterwave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mcvoice 10.jpg (10.0 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by tinitus; 30th September 2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 30th September 2009, 05:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi thanks for reply.Those drivers look nice were are thay from

Hide this!Advertise here!