Novice speaker build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all can some one please help me. I have been into hifi now for about 30 years and i have allways wanted to build my own speakers.But the problem i have is i have no idea how to work the design out but im very good at wood work, I really fancied building a pair of TL speakers and have found a pair of bass units on ebay if some one could check them out for me to see if thay would make a good speaker that would be great. I dont want to spend much money on this project as its my first. But any help would be great. At the moment i am useing MISSON M71I thay sound so big for a small speaker but i would like a more extended bottom end. SORRY HERE IS EBAY ITEM NUMBER 200385306370

Last edited:
Googled the driver & couldn't find a speck of info on it. Personally I'd look for driver(s) more respected in the diy world. I could list some suggestions, but without knowing what exactly you're looking to build the possibities are endless. If I were to build a TL on the cheap this unfolded TL would be the one, although they drop like a brick below 40hz.http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/martin/MLTQWT/index.html For the most part a manageable size speaker with dynamic low end (say down to 30hz flat) is not going to be cheap even diy.

Last edited:
Thanks STEVIEDON. Yes that would be ideal as it as a high spl but dont full range speakers lack the bass clout unless you use a subb. The sony drivers on ebay did get a good review at there time but that was in the the cabs thay were designed for. At the moment im useing a 41HZ AMP 6B that is only 25 watts and a modded MERRANTZ 63 sounds very good but i would like more bass than my MISSIONS M70I are giving

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
At the moment im useing a 41HZ AMP 6B that is only 25 watts and a modded MERRANTZ 63

sounds very good but i would like more bass than my MISSIONS M70I are giving

Well, then you would need bigger amp too

Maybe better look at building a sub with plateamp
But its not cheap to do properly

I just bought a pair of McGee horn and driver, very cheap
From a quick listen I think they have great potential
No shout or other nastiness
Mated with nice 12-15" woofer it may turn out very nice

Though, if you want to be certain of the result, find a proven design
Only, you may have to build it before having heard it, which also holds some uncertainty

Attachments

• McGee horn driver.jpg
    McGee horn driver.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 218
Hi again all thanks all for your help. I do like the little missions but i have allways wanted to build my own speakers and i wanted some thing with a bigger bottom end but for a first project i dont really want to spend loads of money. I dont really want a seperate subb as i have had one before and i was allways altering the phase and level it never seemed to sound right. But this speaker building is not as easy as it sounds to work out a box design you have to be a real maths boffin:confused:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I have a pair of 10" McVoice on the way
At 27EUR they are really cheap
But no specs, so I take chances with this
Will be mounted in my old Lowther Acoustas

If you are very short on money it seems like a risky adventure to design your own
Though, the old KEF drivers were quite good quality
Maybe they would work in a quaterwave

Attachments

• Mcvoice 10.jpg
    Mcvoice 10.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Well, then you would need bigger amp too

Maybe better look at building a sub with plateamp
But its not cheap to do properly

I just bought a pair of McGee horn and driver, very cheap
From a quick listen I think they have great potential
No shout or other nastiness
Mated with nice 12-15" woofer it may turn out very nice

Though, if you want to be certain of the result, find a proven design
Only, you may have to build it before having heard it, which also holds some uncertainty

Where did you pick up those McGee Horns?

Thx!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Where did you pick up those McGee Horns?

Thx!

In Denmark, but I could also get them in Germany

But I have searched to find specs
Didnt find much
But it seems they are made by ZOMAX

The cheap screw mount driver I bought, also looks exactly like a ZOMAX, but then it cost quite a lot more

Bull...
Woofers are from a German seller, on a 50% discount
Theres 12" and 15" too
http://www.ts-audio.biz/tsshop2/WGS/6647/Sonstige_Tieftoener.htm

Hope it helps

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi again all i have got a chance of some kef b200 large magnet and wondered if thay would make a good start for some TL speakers. I have read that i would need a line of two and half meters does this sound right. Any advice would be great

What is the SP#?

http://t-linespeakers.org/drivers/b200.html

SP1039 & SP1022 are better for TL (used in the Fried H & M). SP1054 is likely to work better in something else.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The SP1014 is the standard small magnet B200 that KEF sold to constructors. It worls well in a TL... not real small thou.

I'd plug the numbers into Martin King's tables to give a 1st pass design. I did this for the Jordan JX150 and got a box exceedingly close to a "classic" designed TL i did in the late 70s... don't know how well that one would faire under scrutiny of the new modelers.

The IMF TLS50 is a classic TL that used this woofer and worked well.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.