Wanting opinions on first OB build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am wanting to build a first pair of OB speakers, but am not sure where to begin. I am looking for something that is relatively inexpensive and that would fill a large space around 30x30. I am thinking of a design with a 12" woofer and tweeter like the Manzinita project here, but am not sure if this would work with my large space. And secondly, iI was wondering if there are any other OB designs with cheaper drivers that I could get my feet wet so-to-speak with? Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. I really like the idea of a eminence alpha 15 and a full range, but I also like the price of the goldwood tangband. Any idea what kind of x-over would be involved for the goldwood/tangband speakers? Also what about something like this eminence coaxial? Would that possibly work by itself as a fullrange?

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I also like the price of the goldwood tangband. Any idea what kind of x-over would be involved for the goldwood/tangband speakers?

I have the 2" TB
Only made a very quick "xo"
At first it sounded awfully harsh
Then I added a rather big resistor in series, and things happened
Sounded quite sweet and airy
Better than any cheap fullrange driver
33-47uf in series, and a resistor
Its crossed quite low
Might be possible to mount a waveguide
The very low xo point is the trick with this 2"
Which is also theoretically perfect for WTW configuration

2.5way means that ALL 4 woofers plays the same bass, but the 2 bottom woofers only play bass/midbass
2.5way for OB ought to work quite well, dealing with some of the dipole rolloff below 500hz
With a very big baffle it will be lower
For the 2.5way you need a big inductor(5mH?) in series with 2 of the 4 woofer in a WW.WTW
I can easily draw you a good xo schematic
Only, I cant give you the exact component values as I dont have the Goldwood woofers

Attachments

• 2.5.JPG
    2.5.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 2.5way OB.JPG
    2.5way OB.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.