S11 OB - Revisiting Desktop OB design using Seas 8" and Tang Band Full-Range - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2012, 05:02 AM   #21
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

Great work Gainphile!

Those were the inspiration of this design I did. I already have the woofers, except for the bass drivers. I have the passive crossover planned out but I still have to buy the stuff

B&G Neo3w dipole tweeter
Fostex FW168HR Midwoofer
Tang Band W5-1138SMF Subwoofer

The crossover points are 800Hz and 3000Hz, slopes are all 2nd order LR acoustically, but electrically the high pass on the Fostex driver is only a first order, that combines with the 6dB dipole rolloff.

The tweeters and woofers are open baffle, subwoofers are small (.12 ft3) sealed enclosures:

F3 70 Hz
F6 55 Hz
F10 41 Hz

I will likely add a dedicated subwoofer later, but it will probably not always be on. This should be fine for most music with a bit of eq. With room acoustics i should get some nice bass. I would have liked OB bass but the Fostex drivers only have 2.65mm of xmax, I figure sealed is the next best...

This is a budget build (except the woofer and tweeter, which I already had) because my computer died and I bought a new one. The cost of the crossover is about $116. I will run it with my gainclone.

This is what I plan to take to college, I need something really good or I will miss my home system. Compared to what I am used to, with a 12ft3 subwoofer and spawn double horns, this size desktop speaker is tiny!
Attached Images
File Type: png OB Hybrid Front.png (140.4 KB, 517 views)
File Type: png OB Hybrid Back.png (88.8 KB, 502 views)
File Type: png OB Hybrid Scale.png (29.6 KB, 484 views)
Old 28th August 2012, 08:29 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi kctess5,

looks very nice . Concerning OB-Bass you might have a look at gainphile's S20z n-dipole-sub. I have a slightly modded one running with two Dayton SD270 drivers which are quite low priced for a 10" woofer (around $40 at PE).
Nearfield measures show a possible f3 at 30 Hz (f6 around 22 Hz) without EQ-help . I attached two pictures. One is the 3D-design the other one my test-mule .

Click the image to open in full size.

Greets
Sven
Old 28th August 2012, 04:02 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

For what it is that is very impressive, F3 of 30 Hz. I may have to look into that...
Old 28th August 2012, 11:12 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctess5 View Post
Great work Gainphile!

Those were the inspiration of this design I did. I already have the woofers, except for the bass drivers. I have the passive crossover planned out but I still have to buy the stuff

B&G Neo3w dipole tweeter
Fostex FW168HR Midwoofer
Tang Band W5-1138SMF Subwoofer

The crossover points are 800Hz and 3000Hz, slopes are all 2nd order LR acoustically, but electrically the high pass on the Fostex driver is only a first order, that combines with the 6dB dipole rolloff.

The tweeters and woofers are open baffle, subwoofers are small (.12 ft3) sealed enclosures:

F3 70 Hz
F6 55 Hz
F10 41 Hz

I will likely add a dedicated subwoofer later, but it will probably not always be on. This should be fine for most music with a bit of eq. With room acoustics i should get some nice bass. I would have liked OB bass but the Fostex drivers only have 2.65mm of xmax, I figure sealed is the next best...

This is a budget build (except the woofer and tweeter, which I already had) because my computer died and I bought a new one. The cost of the crossover is about $116. I will run it with my gainclone.

This is what I plan to take to college, I need something really good or I will miss my home system. Compared to what I am used to, with a 12ft3 subwoofer and spawn double horns, this size desktop speaker is tiny!
Very interesting and well-thought design ! Let us know the build progress.

That W5 is very interesting isn't it. I wonder if one could do a w-frame styled "micro subs" with those. 9.5mm is surely an excellent excursion for the size. Price is even better !
Old 28th August 2012, 11:41 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That W5 is very interesting isn't it. I wonder if one could do a w-frame styled "micro subs" with those. 9.5mm is surely an excellent excursion for the size. Price is even better !
They look great, I've used Tang Band subs before and if they are of similar quality then I should be quite pleased. 9.5mm is astounding for that size, they should work nicely in sealed boxes. I think with two of them I may not even feel the need for a sub, especially with a bit of eq, the displacement is similar to my small 12" sub. They might be able to do open baffle but they will be quite close to the back wall, and I will have very limited eq options. Plus I need to keep size down, the dorm desks are quite small

Quote:
Very interesting and well-thought design ! Let us know the build progress.
Thanks! When I finally get the budget to do it I will probably give it its own thread so I don't hijack yours. BTW great designs, I always like checking out your blog
Old 29th August 2012, 02:00 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAD kLOPFER View Post
Hi kctess5,

looks very nice . Concerning OB-Bass you might have a look at gainphile's S20z n-dipole-sub. I have a slightly modded one running with two Dayton SD270 drivers which are quite low priced for a 10" woofer (around $40 at PE).
Nearfield measures show a possible f3 at 30 Hz (f6 around 22 Hz) without EQ-help . I attached two pictures. One is the 3D-design the other one my test-mule .

Greets
Sven
Indeed great find with SD270. Thanks for sending me the nearfield .frd earlier!

Here is a comparison between SD270 with my Jaycar. Yellow graph is the eq needed for F3=20hz.

Dayton SD270

Jaycar CW2139

This dipole sub should work well if you have the space.
Old 1st September 2012, 02:09 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

What is the exact size of the wood and for 8" how much did you cut for the speaker. What tool did you use to grind the back part of the speakers. Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:51 PM   #28
ani101 is offline ani101  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Plan or measurements?

do you have the plans or box measurements for the Sub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAD kLOPFER View Post
Hi kctess5,

Greets
Sven

Hide this!Advertise here!