Jaycar JV60 crossover upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would like some advice. Back in '99 I built a set of Jaycar JV60 speakers (made my own enclosures) using the Jaycar kit (Vifa drivers). They sat in storage in Australia for 8 years before I shipped them over here to Scotland. I've been using them for over a year and am wondering if I could improve the sound (They do sound pretty good generally to my ears). Should I upgrade the components in the crossovers with better versions or should I try and replace the crossovers with something more modern/better quality?

If the latter can anybody give me advice on what a good crossover would be to build/use?

Does anybody have circuit drawings for these crossovers?

Finally, I don't have any electronics theory experience but I did build a subwoofer amp kit at the same time as I built the speakers. It worked fine so I'm OK with constructing something if I have decent instructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how good these kits were, but probably could be improved, at minimum by upgrading any electrolyic caps. At least you'd have to tell us the model numbers of the drivers, the volume of the cabinets & port dimensions, and if possible draw us a wiring diagram of the existing crossovers.

Edit: Paul, post 11 this thread may be able to help:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24999&page=2

Last edited:
Hi Canetoad,

I designed these for Jaycar back in '95. My suggestion is to change all Caps to eliminate the Electros and if you want to go all the way, get some decent inductors as well. Funny how the designed boards came from china with micro components. :mad:

Others also replaced the tweeters with Morel MDT30 or 32. That requires C3 to have a value of (from memory) 5.6uF. This mod was used by a lot of members of the W. A. Audiophile Soc. They were quite impressed.

Personnaly I dislike metal tweeters. Give me silk any time.

Terry

Thanks Phoenix,

Being an absolute novice, can you tell me what caps to use that aren't electrolitic? Also, what do I look for in an inductor for quality. Will it's spec sheet give that information?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

for caps, polyprop or similar, 250Volt is my preference.
For Inductors, just look for good wire sizes, 1.2mm to 1.6 would suit your build.

Terry

Thanks for all the help. One other question I have. I haven't been able to find a 4mH inductor (L1) in the crossover. I can get a 3.9mH though. Would this be OK? What other changes would I have to make so that the crossover frequency stays the same?

I was going to get air core inductors. From what I've read these would be better. Would steel/iron be better for woofer or should I stay with them for all inductors?

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the help. One other question I have. I haven't been able to find a 4mH inductor (L1) in the crossover. I can get a 3.9mH though. Would this be OK? What other changes would I have to make so that the crossover frequency stays the same?

I was going to get air core inductors. From what I've read these would be better. Would steel/iron be better for woofer or should I stay with them for all inductors?

Thanks again.

Hi Mate,

3.9mH is close enough in this design, won't make a difference. Air core are much better.

Terry

Sorry for my ignorance but I have a few extra questions about components. If I can't get 250V capacitors, will higher rated examples be OK? Are there any issues with using larger voltage items? Also, what rating resistors should I use? I was told by one person I should use at least 5w examples. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sorry for my ignorance but I have a few extra questions about components. If I can't get 250V capacitors, will higher rated examples be OK? Are there any issues with using larger voltage items? Also, what rating resistors should I use? I was told by one person I should use at least 5w examples. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

This forum exists to remove the shadow of ignorance and replace it with with the light of wisdom. :cool:

Now I have to wait till I stop laughing.:p

The strict answer is yes you can. Higher voltage caps are fine. That said, I doubt higher voltage caps are meant to be used in this role. If I remember your in the UK. Hopefully someone can give us a hand to let you know where to shop.

Yes, use 5 watt resistors. 10 watt is fine too. Anything smaller than 5 is a no no. Anything over 10 is a waste of money. I designed the xover using 5 watt.

Ask any time.

Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.