Throwing out ideas, Wants opinions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have for a longer time used Audax 34mm domes together with Morel 8,5" paper woofers and have got the impression that i am into something here, BUT
since the woofers are far from in a optimum cabinet (VERY high qt value), and the x over are far from close to rigth i have looked at some interesting products.

Hypex AS2.100
This has fully adjustable dsp based x overs via a pc program trougth USB connectors

The above mentioned Audax TW034X0
Since i have access too some nice workshop gear i am temted too try drilling the pole piece and add a rear chamber on a pair of these(already have 4 of them), are this doomed to fail, or is it a good idea?

Seas Prestige A26RE4
Maybe a surpricing choice, but i am kind of directed towards large sealed bookshelf speakers with a warm sound and belive these migth fit the bill
(and they are Norwegian made)

Due too the many possibillities in the dsp xo in the Hypex amps i could manage too create stepped filters wich starts with a 6 db/oct slope and ends with 48+ db/oct. I can also add BSC

Attachment shows an hasty made x over example
Tweeter are cut first at 1800hz with 6db/oct and then at 900hz 48db oct
Woofers are cut first at 1800hz with 6db/oct and then at 3600hz at 48 db/oct
4db BSC are made at 250hz.
The idea with this are too get the pros with 6db/oct filters but with the powerhandling offered by higher order filters.
Comments from experienced DIY`ers are more than welcome

Attachments

• Hypex.jpg
    Hypex.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 82
Model:
Macrom 59.21 (4 ohm car driver made by Morel)

Specs from WinISD

Qts 1,0
Vas 51L
FS 40hz
RE 3,2 ohm
LE 0,33 Mh
Xmax 3,5mm
Z 4 ohm
Qms 4,41
Qes 1,4
SPL 90db
PE 120W
BL (spec missing)
SD 219cm2

Strangely enough they sound good in small sealed boxes (with 60hz highpass and support from a 15") Maybe i gets a sort of BSC for free here? Ps they have a socal "car filter" , a foam plug in the pole vent, thats supposed too dampen the impedance peak at Fs, maybe this makes them more insensitive to small cabinets?

So i hoped that the Seas woofers would work well in 35L Wich are my idea of a large bookshelf speaker ;)
Lower peak according too Win ISD than the Morel`s have in 200+Liters
(Madison recomend 42 Liter, Half stuffed

Last edited:
'Maybe i gets a sort of BSC for free here? ' - yep, the too-small box gives a hump right where it's needed for BSC, these drivers seem to be good for OB.

35L is still OK for the Seas, but you won't get the same lows without some EQ (drops off below 50Hz), seems to be a very well behaved driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.