Focal 4k Kevlar mids - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2001, 11:57 PM   #11
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Go to www.partsexpress.com, and take a look at the 6 1/2 drivers under the "speakers" section. They have a number of 7 inch Focal offerings, and a pricier ScanSpeak unit.
Old 23rd December 2001, 05:26 AM   #12
CHRIS8 is offline CHRIS8  United States
Account Disabled

If I had to choose a color cordinated woofer, I'd go with the Kevlar 7" Scan Speak 18W/8546. There is also an 8" Kevlar Scan Speak that is 2dB more sensitive than the 7" version, if that's what you need. While the Focals are also nice, they simply can not provide you with the gorgeous bass that the Scan Speaks will, mainly due to thier high FS and relatively small x-max. And if you do this, you may as well go about it in a way that you can eliminate the subwoofer for music use. I personally prefer the carbon/paper Scan Speaks but if you simply must have color cordination.....

www.partsexpress.com
www.madisound.com

-Chris
Old 23rd December 2001, 02:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Since when does mid-low 30hz bass relieve the need of a subwoofer for music?! You should at least go down to 20hz...
Old 23rd December 2001, 05:21 PM   #14
CHRIS8 is offline CHRIS8  United States
Account Disabled

Well, I like low bass too so I do tend to agree with you.

But he's using an A/V reciever, which has a fixed 80 hz crossover according to his first post. IMO, it would sound better to use the Scan Speaks down to mid to low 30s with no subwoofer than to use them with a sub or subs crossed at 80 hz that must be remote from the main speakers. Actually, with the 8" Scan Speaks I believe a F3 in the high 20s is very doable, though I haven't put the specs in a modeling program, they appear to be usable acording the raw specs. I would not tune to very near or below the FS of 23 hz though, as this will cause excursion to be too great at around 35-40 Hz. I actually had this dilema with a recent project using an 8" bass driver that I built, so I tuned to 30 Hz. Directional bass is not your friend, and unless this is one seriously small room..80 hz is rather localizable in my experience. Though he has two subs he has made it clear that his spouse is very picky, and I am assuming she is not going to allow the bulky/unsightly subwoofer to be placed behind or beside the main speakers as they will surely be readily visible. Of course, if his spouse will be understanding, then definately use the subwoofers for music, or if he wants to invest in components so that he can split with a dedicated crossover, then so be it.

Good luck no matter what!

-Chris
Old 23rd December 2001, 06:39 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But he's using an A/V reciever, which has a fixed 80 hz crossover according to his first post. IMO, it would sound better to use the Scan Speaks down to mid to low 30s with no subwoofer than to use them with a sub or subs crossed at 80 hz that must be remote from the main speakers.
Funny thing actually... the B&K reciever I am using has a "direct mode" that allows you to bypass the bass management circuitry and use the front speakers as "large" for stereo music, while easily using the the bass management aspects for HT... a very easy change via remote.

My spouse is really not that bad... I was kinda joking. I live here too, she'll "let me" do my own thing if it means better sound and we can still use the room. She's starting to actually "listen" to music... I mean actually play something and just sit in front of the speakers! We are as a matter of fact using the pair of subs as speaker stands for the MTM 4s. (Which I love the sound, btw... its just the "hole" I want to fix... and I REALLY need to tweak the tweeter/mid xover).

Now on to these Scanspeak drivers, it seems most people favor the carbon/fiber 7" driver. Am I also correct to assume you guys recommend a ported enclosure in this application? Also, having just spent a whole lotta dough on all of this, at this time I'll have to go with passive xovers for now. I do understand the advantages of active... maybe sometime in the future. As a matter of fact a friend of mine just loaned me his active xover for me to try... I'll give it a go to help try to find the ideal xover point for the tweeter/mids.

This *might* be a change in the thread but maybe someone can help me regarding more expensive crossover components. I understand using better quality stuff in the signal path, i.e., in series with the driver, but does it matter sonically to use less quality parallel to the driver? In say the zobel. Would, for example, using electrolylitic be fine, or cheaper air core inductors? Does it pay to use CFAC inductors (I've never heard one myself)?

And again... thank you all for your help... I am learning a lot.

Happy Holidays,

mike
Old 23rd December 2001, 07:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I would definitely go with a ported enclosure for the 7 inch ScanSpeak.

As for the quality of components, I find that although quality components in series are important, they are still important when used in parallel, though not to the same extent. If you're trying to keep costs down, definitely start replacing the parallel components before the series components. Also, this is a matter of personal opinion, but I feel that the midrange is the most critical range succeptible to the negative effects of poor crossover components. I would sooner use lesser quality components in the tweeter crossover than in the midrange if forced to do so.

Also a matter of opinion, but depending on the amount of components in the signal path, I would sacrifice the quality of the caps (to an extent) before sacrificing inductor quality. In my own experiences, using high quality air core inductors helps keep an "airier" sound, whereas substituting them with poor quality inductors has resulted in a darker, more condensed sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!