64 4" drivers and 2 15" subs what do you suggest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I've just ordered a load of new drivers specifically 64 4inch mids of ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130327963499&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and 2 dayton 15" subs
http://www.europe-audio.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=7676

Now the plan is to build 2 20 speaker curved line arrays and 3 8 speaker line arrays one centre and 2 rears. The dayton have been purchased with the plan of building a pair of bill fitzmaurice design tlah horns.

Now my questions are
1. what would be the best alignment for the 4 inchers? the t/s parameters suggest a vented cab but would a stacked array of horns be a better option. I tried using horn resp but being a big fat noob i cant get my head around it. The other options are closed and open baffle but i'd like some advice from those in the know.

Regarding line array and tweeters my plan is to either go for a single high power tweeter or to build a fully height 5cm wide electrostatic panel to cover the highs above 3 or 4 khz.

here are the t/s parameters for the speakers.

QTS 0.516
QMS 2.840
QES 0.630
FS 89.98
RE 3.8 ohm (estimated based on 80% of znom)
PE 75w (based on sellers suggestion)
LE 0.2mh (not sure on this but since the were used for wharfedale modus satellite full rangers its probably a bit higher.)
BL 4.23926
XMAX 1mm (this is a conservative estimate)
Z 6 ohm
SD 43.9

2. I'll be using these for 50% music 50% movies and gaming so i want low bass. Is there an alternative design that will give me the best of both worlds? i.e. high spl for movies and tight articulate bass for music. I was thinking maybe using one of the subs in open baffle or closed box and the second one in an llt 12hz low tuned ported box for the sub 30hz range.

here the link to the dayton specs http://daytonaudio.com/files/specs/DVC385-88_specsheet.pdf

hope someone can give me some advice on this thanks.

Strange no opinions whatsoever!

anyway,

I've been playing around with winisd to see what i can come up with. In terms of sound quality it seems that open or critically damped closed is the way to go but for bang for buck in the spl department ported low tuned is the way to go.

So i'm thinking ill build closed cabs for the mids , a closed critically damped woofer and an llt tune sub.

Heres the winisd transfer function.

picture.php

So what do you think folks?

Please bear in mind i haven't decide on tweeter configuration yet.

The mid range drivers are the same ones used in the little wharfedale modus satellite speaker. Whafedale had them in a cabinet 144mm X 122X 155 afaik. This was closed and they ran a max of 35 watts from around 150hz to 15k

I received the woofers last night - the wife was shock by the size ;)

Once the 4 inch mids arrive i think ill mount one in ob , one in a ported box and one in a closed box and do some tests.

Going ported will definately give me the best in terms of low extension and spl at the expense of group delay but since im going to be going with line array confiuration if i go open baffle or low qtc large box the drop in low level extension and spl may be offset somewhat by the line arrays gain.

For the woofers i'm still undecided on the best configuration to go with. I like the idea of using horns and space is not an issue so i can go very big if i want to.

Essentially i'm on a tight budget regarding speakers but they are bought now so no going back there. Regarding building and size i have all the time in the world and plenty of space. I would however like to build something to be proud of and something that will give me the best compromise of low level extention, sound quality and spl using what i have available.

The daytons in a horn should be capable of substantial low frequency extension and spl but is there a horn design that will get me below 20hz and keep the spl up?

I have bought some of the same drivers but only 20 of them. They are very nice drivers....well made.
My plans are not as big as yours but I am also going to make some line arrays just for the hell of it to see what they can sound like.
I'll go sealed for the 4" full range and therefore cross them over at about 150Hz, any lower will only add more stress to the driver than necessary. I plan to use a single high efficiency tweeter from 3KHz and above. You are not going to have any problems with spl's with so many drivers. Your main curved arrays will be over 103db/w
Large horns are going to be very nice but by their large nature you are going to have to use a lot of high quality plywood and this is not cheap if you are on a budget, and you are going to have to finish them!
I am toying with the idea of the "ripole" configuration for the bass which reduces efficiency somewhat but also reduces the drivers Fs. If this doesn't work for me I will go Isobaric and if that does not work I will probably end up with a Transmission line design like those from "bjorno! and "planet10" These guys are brilliant and really know what they are talking about. (ask them)
Good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.