Now there is no excuse not to have a calibrated mic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does that also explain that except for distance, mic tend to pick up much more s, t, f, ts, ch... sounds in voices than our ears?

Speakers unfamiliar with this character of ordinary mics often fail to soften their fricatives so the sounds come out from PA system downstream would be awfully harsh.

Does that also explain that except for distance, mic tend to pick up much more s, t, f, ts, ch... sounds in voices than our ears?

Speakers unfamiliar with this character of ordinary mics often fail to soften their fricatives so the sounds come out from PA system downstream would be awfully harsh.

Vocal mikes are typically voiced with a 4 to 5 dB peak in the upper mids between 2 and 8 kHz. Here's a classic example:

http://www.shure.com/stellent/group...ts/web_resource/site_img_us_rc_sm58_large.gif

I backed off 4kHz about 2 dB on voices when I mixed live audio for that very reason. It didn't sound quite as lively initially but I didn't need an aspirin at the end of the night either.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Please note the large difference in vertical scale between the 2 plots.
If re-graphed on the same scale, they would look much closer.

Here they are with same scale.

dave

Attachments

• mic_curves.png
    mic_curves.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 201
Please note the large difference in vertical scale between the 2 plots.
If re-graphed on the same scale, they would look much closer.

Here they are with same scale.

dave

Umm, the second plot in the link I posted has both sets of data already combined. I'll repeat it here. The blue graph is Dayton's data, the red and green data is Herb's. Although not wildly different, they are not the same either.

Attachments

• emm_resp.jpg
    emm_resp.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 169

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hey guys,

regardless of how good the dayton mic is, I bought one. It was on sale for black friday. I had a cheap RS meter and I wanted something better.

Now, my question is how do i power up this baby?
Any suggestions for a diy preamp? I'm looking to hook it up to my computer.

thanks!

Hey guys,

regardless of how good the dayton mic is, I bought one. It was on sale for black friday. I had a cheap RS meter and I wanted something better.

Now, my question is how do i power up this baby?
Any suggestions for a diy preamp? I'm looking to hook it up to my computer.

thanks!

Rolls MP13
M-Audio Audio Buddy
Xenyx UB-802

Making a preamp with phantom power is possible, but probably not cost effective. Look at the DIY Measurement Mic thread

For recording generally USB and Phantom power is kind of hit or miss. I really don't know what can happen in terms of the measurements with an underpowered (considerably less than 48v) or unstable power going to a mic. Remember you are feeding the mics power in this situation with the computers power supply going through the USB2.0 port. Just a heads up I guess not even sure if it's a real issue in a lot of situations or just generally recommended to be better safe than sorry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.