bookshelf speaker suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
alright, so, I've been into headphone hifi for about a year now.

I've built two DIY headphone amps, but I know almost nothing about speaker diy specific stuff.

anyway, so, recently I've been wanting to share the enjoyment of my music with others... but my speakers sound horrid.. which leads me to this.

I would like to build my own speakers in the neighbor hood of $150.
I know almost nothing about speakers, so, I will admit that I might need a tadbit of spoon feeding.
If that's not acceptable than it would request that you do the decent thing of telling me to do my own f**king research before moving on =)

In any case..
I am looking for bookshelf speakers with a price around ~$150 completed.
But this price is highly flexible, and I am mostly just looking for high bang for my buck without breaking the bank.

Now, on to the sound.
I want bookshelf speakers that aren't going to require a subwoofer, but I am
not a basshead... so it doesn't need to be in excess.

I don't want the speakers to be excessively warm.
And, I like sweeter highs, so slightly bright would also be nice.
Basically anything that will make excel in female vocals would be nice.
(mostly japanese female vocals, so a bit higher pitched)

More on the detailed/clinical side rather than the "musical" side

I listen to alot of syth heavy music.
basshunter, perfume (jpop), girl's generation, and the like.
I also listen to Utada Hikaru, and stuff like that

I know this is a tall list of requirements and my budget is very limited.. which is why I am very willing to compromise in almost any direction.

I was considering these.
http://www.geocities.com/cc00541/TritrixMT_pg_2.html

thanks for reading =)

alright, so, I've been into headphone hifi for about a year now.

I've built two DIY headphone amps, but I know almost nothing about speaker diy specific stuff.

anyway, so, recently I've been wanting to share the enjoyment of my music with others... but my speakers sound horrid.. which leads me to this.

I would like to build my own speakers in the neighbor hood of $150.
I know almost nothing about speakers, so, I will admit that I might need a tadbit of spoon feeding.
If that's not acceptable than it would request that you do the decent thing of telling me to do my own f**king research before moving on =)

In any case..
I am looking for bookshelf speakers with a price around ~$150 completed.
But this price is highly flexible, and I am mostly just looking for high bang for my buck without breaking the bank.

Now, on to the sound.
I want bookshelf speakers that aren't going to require a subwoofer, but I am
not a basshead... so it doesn't need to be in excess.

I don't want the speakers to be excessively warm.
And, I like sweeter highs, so slightly bright would also be nice.
Basically anything that will make excel in female vocals would be nice.
(mostly japanese female vocals, so a bit higher pitched)

More on the detailed/clinical side rather than the "musical" side

I listen to alot of syth heavy music.
basshunter, perfume (jpop), girl's generation, and the like.
I also listen to Utada Hikaru, and stuff like that

I know this is a tall list of requirements and my budget is very limited.. which is why I am very willing to compromise in almost any direction.

I was considering these.
http://www.geocities.com/cc00541/TritrixMT_pg_2.html

thanks for reading =)
$150? If only you can go for Paradigm Titan. But you can look at E bay for mint condition quality speakers. One of my friend bought Bose 301 ver.3 for $ 122. I replaced the internal wirings with gauge 12 magnet wire and capacitors with polypropylene caps with .01 Vishay MKP 1837 caps soldered parallel to HF and MF capacitors. The sound is like high end entry level speaker. Try it if you like.:)

Here.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-856

Do yourself a quick and dirty cabinet and robert's your mother's brother.

those seem nice
"The net result is a small, high-resolution package that will deliver faithful, detailed sound reproduction."

I was planning on wiring up the crossover myself.
Is there a benefit to using the pre built ones?

more suggestions would also be appreciated.

EDIT:
monreq: not really looking to mod speakers, but thanks for the suggestion

Last edited:
I just realized that this kit is for -one- speaker.

So, that set pretty much blows my budget out of the water.
It does look like a nice kit though..

Hah really??

Woops.

Okay here's another thump at it:

Brush up on your Dutch now.

Seriously though there's enough pics and diagrams that actually reading it isn't all that necessary. I didn't. I've just built these and the combo is very strong for the tiny amount of money you need to sink to build these. (Inside 150).

The bookshelfification of these is a wee challenge. But the modifications to the x.o. should be something someone here can help with?

You could build a pair, or buy some. If you were to buy some, at the budget end, a pair of Mission 760i - £30 ish here - £200 ish when they first appeared - (considered old ish now, still sound good).

Building speakers is considered far more satisfying, so we can set off on designs there.

I'd recommend a front-ported two way design, as it seems popular with the manufacturers etc. If volume isn't your thing, say now, because you can get some really low bass, as long as you don't mind losing out on maximum SPL.

If SPL isn't your thing, I can recommend a nice design which has some really good midrange performance, and bass goes fairly low for such a design.

Talking of bass, I'd aim for the 40-50Hz range for the lower cutoff, as going lower requires moving significant amounts of air, which isn't available in small speakers.

Chris

I was in the same boat a while back, looking for a great diy bookshelf. I settled on the highly regarded tri-trix. I have not gotten around to building them.

http://www.geocities.com/cc00541/TritrixMT_pg_1.html

edit: Ha! I decided to actually read your initial thread to the end (am I the only one who scans the first few lines of a post and moves on?) and you ended up in the same place. Great minds think alike. You also saw the MTM version of this, right? Would be more efficient and have more bass, you could pair it up with a lower powered amp more so than the plain version. Keep in mind you will need proper tools, table saw for the walls, lots of clamps, and a router and circle jig for the holes. Pretty much kills your budget if you're missing any of these. Or borrow them from a friend. The guys over at the tech support forum of Parts Express can help you out with building it, including the designer.

Last edited:
I am actually thinking about building this set:
http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/DBP/dbp.htm

Any further suggestions are, of course, welcomed.

It will be a long time before I actually start his project, and I will most probably move to multiple designs before choosing one.

EDIT: I didn't read all the responses, I am gonna edit this, 1 sec

I reckon spend a little bit more and do the hatt mk111 from humblehomemadehifi. I built them and loved them so much im building another pair!

How much do these cost to build?

anyway, it would be nice if people would give reasons why or why not I should build a certain speaker.
You've definitely exposed me to more choices.. but I still have no idea which one is right..

sexya: I want to build them for the experience as well as the sound.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.