Looking to build a sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.
I'm looking to build the best subwoofer for my system. I currently have Paradigm Studio 100's and studio 20's for my surrounds. I run the 100's with an Adcom 200 x 2 and the 20's with my onkyo 787 (which pushes 100 x 6). I also have the matching center channel. Cost is not really an object if the end result is near perfection. Any ideas, comments, or questions are welcome. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. Justin

Some answers?

I listen to a lot of concert dvd's so I would say music is more important than HT. This will be the first speaker I've attempted, so my knowledge is limited. I do not know what freq settings and filter slope/design is. I don't know if I should use my receivers filter to be honest. I want to be able to adjust the frequency on the sub down to 30 hz or so. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. It would be apprechiated if you could steer me in the right direction.

Well, it sounds like you should research a bit more.

You speak of music being important and budget being open, so those 2 things suggest to me that a pair of subs would suit you better, if you have the space.

And maybe the higher end sub amps that feature a 4th order lowpass filter rather than what's likely a 2nd order in your receiver. Not that 4th order is a panacea, but in the practical world where your system is mostly bought, your room & furniture are fixed, a sharp crossover slope helps integrate with your speakers.

What size could you tolerate for an enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.