DIY ribbon drivers using Neudynium magnets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all of you.

I have been offered some surplus neodynium magnets and got the idea to use them for making a pair of ribbon drivers. The magnets are WERRY powerfull. This should give a driver with a high sensitivity. Have anny of you heard about others using these magnets for DIY?

About making the ribbon foil with the conductive foil, where can i find information about this?

Thanks for helping out.

Peter Jensen

Actually I'm planning to try my hand at building a long ribbon driver. The ribbon fabrication and magnet placement is fairly easy. But for a short ribbon (like the stage accompany, raven, etc) have short ribbons (for good vertical dispersion) and thus the ribbon is very low impedance and needs a matching transformer.

My idea is to make a much longer ribbon and pick the ribbon thickness and width to get me to a reasonable (4 ohms or so) impedance without a matching transformer. I haven't done the calculations yet, and I'm hoping that I don't need a 30 foot high ribbon.

Sheldon

Hi again

Thanks for replying.

I know of the impedance problems with ribbons. I was thinking of making a line source combined with a dipol sub. Using these magnets i think it could be made using a quite wide midrange ribbon 4-8 cm combined with a more narrow 1 cm tribble ribbon in the same gap. (X-over 5khz or so) This would not be posible using standard magnets (to low a field when taking the magnets to far apart = low sensitivity), but it might be posible using neodynium ones. The reason why i would like a wide midrange is to improve the low freq respons of the system. X-over to the bass should be about 100 Hz or so. I have made ribbons before (La folia) and i remember thet the hard part was to make a relative wide ribbon that had a good tribble respons. Making a light narrow tribble ribbon with a good tribble respond is not hard.

Problems. Would it be posible to mount a tribble ribbon in front of a midrange ribbon in the samme magnet gap? An other option would be to mount the trible ribbon beside the midrange ribbon. Maybe in a M - T - M configuration with a pair of midrange ribbons beside a tribble ribbon.

About mounting the magnets are surplus mountes on a steel bracket with holes, so they are easy to mount.

What do you think?

Peter

Picture

Hi again

Here is a picture of the magnet type.

Peter

Attachments

• neodym.jpg
    neodym.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 718
Nd

Hi again

These are BIG :bigeyes: , but also werry expensive :( . The surplus ones I have considered cost a small fraction of the price of these ;) . I am thinking of using a lot of them to make somthing like a 150 Cm line source:devilr: . This will take a LOT of magnets so they need to be cheap. Still using cheap surplus Nd magnets will give more power then stardard megnets normally used for making ribbons. I will be making some experiments in the future with these. I will let you know.

Peter Jensen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.