Renovation Challenge - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2009, 12:15 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I do have access to a router so I may try that next weekend. I think if I do end up getting to the stage of adding another driver I may as well start from scratch maybe saving the woofers and make a nice 2 way as the current boxes are less than ideal. Be nice to start off with some clean, new mdf and add some proper bracing methinks. I can see this ending up a rather big project, but hopefully it'll keep me occupied during the summer holidays
Old 30th August 2009, 10:02 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

If you are going to do that perhaps think about using the current woofer as the bass-mid and getting a decent cheap 12inch for real Bass and a tweeter strong enough to keep up.

Those boxes look strong enough to use for small subs tho, I have a pair of Panasonic 70mm 4R full-range drivers here you can have for postage cost if you want to start playing, they are OK if X'd at 500 or so
Old 30th August 2009, 10:13 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

What is the size of the cap, and are the tweeters 8 or 16 ohm?

I would also hang onto the old tweeters, they were premium in their day (and many have dismissed a good cone tweeter when it is undeserved).

dave
Old 30th August 2009, 10:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Dave, I have to disagree, I've measured those tweeters... and then discarded them, they're very peaky. I think the OP's idea of a HiVi FR driver with the 8" filling in the bass is very good... crossing over 1st order at 150-250Hz is easy and non-critical.
Ideally of course he should measure the Woofers...it's easier than you think:
ARTA http://www.fesb.hr/~mateljan/arta/download.htm
ARTA Jig - http://zobsky.blogspot.com/2008/01/s...t-jig-for.html
Old 30th August 2009, 10:39 PM   #15
rjb is offline rjb  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I support PeteMck's statement that measuring speakers is easier than you think. Basically you only need any old computer with a basic sound card, the LIMP part of the arta software he lists above, an 8 ohm resistor, and an amplifier. Oh, also a sealed box of about 1 or 2 cubic ft but of known volume and a ruler.That gets you enough information to put into software like Win ISD, which gives you a standard bass reflex box. The basic software is all free to trial.
If you've built a gainclone, this will be very easy for you. Have a go. Once you have done this, you will be hooked, and will want to try more complex software for different sorts of boxes. Before paying out money for new drivers, (except possibly a cheap tweeter) make the most of what you've got.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:26 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Pete,

I have no personal experience with those particular ones, just making a general statement... and i'd never leave them untouched.

dave
Old 1st September 2009, 08:38 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
What is the size of the cap, and are the tweeters 8 or 16 ohm?

I would also hang onto the old tweeters, they were premium in their day (and many have dismissed a good cone tweeter when it is undeserved).

dave
tweeters are 15 ohm. As for cap, afraid I've no idea, not too sure which way to interpret the colour code.

Hide this!Advertise here!