Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Elbert is offline Elbert  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Super SEAS-Scanspeak 2-ways

Over time, I've been in and out here seeking advice and contemplating all sorts of drivers and solutions for my ongoing project..

It really started as a plan to build some boxes for a couple of Access 6A drivers out of some leftover MDF..

But you know how it is when the snowball starts rolling..

Anyway, just thought I'd do a small write-up on the project so far, hopefully providing some inspiration and ideas to anyone reading..

Design criteria:

A pair of easy-to-place stereo-speakers ultimately to be used with a stereo-sub setup.

The set up will eventually be fully active with 3x90W mosfet amplifier stages (Elektor's Crescendo Millennium design) per channel, Using linkwitz active filter boards for X-over and response shaping.

As I mentioned, the project started with what was supposed to be a pair fo simple MDF boxes. Since I didn't prioritize LF extension and wanted something simple to work with/ tune, closed boxes were the order of the day.

The MDF I had was 19mm and the internal box volume ended up around 12 L.

Attached images show the box glued together except for the back.

Inside the box, I added some bracing, and as you can see, the bracing elements were cut and assembled at an angle to (hopefully) reduce standing waves.

Further to this, the inside was covered with sheets of bitumen and a soft squashy foam material normally used to insulate HVAC and plumbing equipment. iI is very dead, and in feel and appearance it is not entirely dissimmilar to the stuff they make earplugs out of. The stuff is called Armaflex if you wan to look it up on the web.

even without wadding, the boxes were very dead with only the bitumen and armaflex in place.

After adding bitumen and armaflex to the rear panels, they were simply glued in place.

But what about the finishing??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0016-web.jpg (57.4 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0015web.jpg (63.0 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0010web.jpg (55.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0011web.jpg (46.8 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by Elbert; 29th August 2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 29th August 2009, 05:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

After quite a bit of filling and sanding, I actually ended up with a pair of boxes that were quite heavy and solid, not to mention acoustically dead, in other words a good starting point for something that could evolve in to a more serious project than I had originally envisaged.

I realized that if I ended up with a nice sounding design, a degree of aesthetic appeal could complement the project nicely.

I like wood finish, but at the same time, I wanted to give the design some visual interest beyond an all veneer finish.

I decided to go for a plain black backside, so the first thing I did was to paint the rear black. This so I wouldn't mess up any subsequent veneering job with paint splatter and sanding dust.

For the front, I decided to go for a black "extra" baffle to be offset from the box by some 3mm rubber sheet, sort of a MDF-rubber-MDF sandwich baffle if you like.

You can see these extra baffles in the background..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0006web.jpg (38.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 29th August 2009, 06:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Now for the veneer...

What to choose?

I tend to like the darker types of wood, but this time I didn't want something too dark either..

I got some cherry veneer which had a touch of flame in the cut and some bird-pickings and twig-marks. I think this adds some life to a finish, I didn't want a veneer finsih that was too "perfect" and wallpaper like.

Out comes the glue, Iron and hobby knife!

And some heavy transformers are also useful for keeping the veneer in place as the glue dries!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0008web.jpg (44.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 29th August 2009, 06:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Veneer successfully applied and sanded down, but it looked a bit neutral and "ikea" like.. What will some coats of Oil do??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0009web.jpg (44.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0010aweb.jpg (35.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 29th August 2009, 06:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Since I like a warm golden glow in wood, I decided to use a hardwood/ exotic wood Oil in stead of some lighter and more neutral alternatives.

How would it work with the relatively light cherry-veneer??

Quite well it turned out, at least to my taste.

It was quite enjoyable to see how the veneer came to life as the oil was applied.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0011aweb.jpg (47.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0012aweb.jpg (49.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 29th August 2009, 06:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

In the next image, you can see how I glued a rubber-sheet to the front of the box. After the glue had dried, holes were cut, and the front baffle was glued in place.

As you can see, the rubber sheet is a bit smaller than the actual baffle dimensions. This leaves a gap between the box and the glued on baffle that serves well to hide any minor (inevitable) dimensional discrepancies that would otherwise be obvious in a face-to-face assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0017aweb.jpg (44.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 29th August 2009, 06:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Terminals and wiring is also required...

In stead of opting for the easy way out with standard DIY plastic terminal wells, I did a job in aluminium with some gold plated terminals.

Unfortunately, the picture doesn't do the back-side finish full justice..

I applied quite a few coatings of black interior paint, progressively sanding it down untill the last coating was finished with 1000 grit paper. The appearance is more that of silk matt laquer than painted MDF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0304web.jpg (107.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0370web.jpg (70.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 29th August 2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Looking great
Old 29th August 2009, 07:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Didn't get pictures of the final assembly steps, so enjoy in stead the view of the delicious glass-fiber cone SEAS Exel units I was lucky enough to get my hands on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0351web.jpg (53.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0354web.jpg (49.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 29th August 2009, 08:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

And now for the finished result:

As you can see, I didn't stop with adding a front baffle. On the baffle I glued a square sheet of the same armaflex material I used to line the inside of the boxes.

Not only for visual distinction and "countersinking" of the drive units, but allso for absorbtion of early reflections from the baffle. Well.. the last point is of course more intentionally than factual, but at least it can't hurt.

The tweeter, by the way, is a peerles (scanspeak) 104, a very nice unit for the price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0355web.jpg (35.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0363web.jpg (56.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0360web.jpg (30.9 KB, 83 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!